Hi, I'm new! (seeking houseplant recommendations)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi all! I'm relatively new to houseplant care as a hobby, about a month into obsession-level interest. I am going to a local nursery tomorrow and would love recommendations for what to acquire next (if available, and if anyone sees this). I have killed my share of succulents and dracaenas in the past, and I am looking to redeem myself. Below is what I think I have now:
  • Dracaena fragrans, warneckii lemon lime
    • Some years old, with a propagated baby on the way!
  • Epipremnum aureum, devil's ivy
    • Golden, neon, & jade varieties
  • Peperomia polybotrya, raindrop
  • Pilea Peperomioides, Chinese money plant

For reference, I am in the Northeastern US (New England area) and my apartment windows face Northwest. Thanks for the help, and I'm looking forward to meeting you all. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

There are so many wonderful houseplants. If you tell us more about what you might like in a houseplant, I'm sure we could suggest something.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

There are so many wonderful houseplants. If you tell us more about what you might like in a houseplant, I'm sure we could suggest something.
Thanks for the welcome! My main factor is survivability. I want to make sure I get something that can feasibly grow in my space. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm ready to purchase grow lights and humidifiers. I'm not saying it won't happen with time! I really love lush greenery to add to my otherwise bland apartment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If survivability is the criterion, I would recommend expanding outward from your current successes with other related plants. There is a diverse array of Peperomia, Pilea, and various genera of Aroids (Araceae) such as your Epipremnum aureum. Don't worry that the plants will all look the same, the variation in color, shape, size, and texture is remarkable. For example, Peperomia argyreia, Peperomia caperata, and Pilea 'Moon Valley' are three smaller plants of extraordinary beauty that will do well in a north-facing window. If you have the room. try a Dieffenbachia or Monstera deliciosa.

Of course, there are other plants to try that may have different care, but they are really not really more difficult. Orchid care is a good example of being different but not difficult. Currently the north-facing window in my kitchen has blooming Paphiopedilum and Phalaenopsis orchids. Yes, they live there year-round and come into bloom in that location.

Keep trying all manner of plants, you will surprise yourself, oftentimes pleasantly so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
For vining, lush green, hardy, easy care philodendron scandens and Amazonia. For upright Chinese evergreens (aglaonema) come in a variety of colors, size and leaf structures. The scinidapous are also easy and lush. Your local garden centers will have the most popular and easy to grow varietit’s because they are quickly propagated. Despite my vast collection of houseplants my mainstay is the common philodendron. They live on high shelves in my home or staked upright with little care and always look fantastic. Also impossible to over water and lets you know when overly dry. There are hundreds of other plant so don’t be afraid to try any plant that strikes your fancy. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Marck Thank you for the recommendations! I did end up with a 4" but very root-bound Monstera deliciosa (which I repotted) and a little aloe rauhii today. There are certainly other variations of what I already have that I am considering, but given that I already have three different devil's ivy/pothos, I want to make sure I have more of a variety of plant types to learn from. I did avoid Monstera previously because I thought it would be considered "basic" (as in typical) - but I did really want one of my own, so who cares?!

@Jewell Thank you for the recommendations as well!

Ask a Question