Hi from the Gulf Coast

Mike Dreger

Blackhawks
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I moved down to the Gulf Coast area (zone 8b) in 2012. I started a garden shortly thereafter seeing that the growing season is almost year round. I keep it simple with cucumber, tomato, peppers in the summer and kale and Brussel sprouts in the fall in a raised bed. I also have eight strawberry plants, four blueberry bushes and two grape vines which I planted two years ago. I trying to stay organic, however this is hard with all the insects and fungus in the area. Hope you all have some answers to some of my questions or at least point me in the right direction :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Mike, I'm also on the gulf coast. I don't know anything about growing veggies but have considered planting a raised bed to try. Is your stuff in full sun or shade?
Oh and welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)A warm welcome to you @Mike Dreger. Staying organic is not hard if you know the organic alternatives. You might imagine the bugs i face in zone 11 and i use organic methods exclusively. You will find lots of ideas for organic pest and disease control on the forums here.(y)

Mike Dreger

Blackhawks
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@tbendl Yes it is in full sun, it dries out quickly in the summer. Have to keep a close eye on it. Thank you Beverly, I will check out the organic forum. What is your best organic insecticide?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
What is your best organic insecticide?
Oh, i have a number of remedies depending on what is causing a problem. For example. aphids, mealies, and white flies respond to nothing more than dishsoap (pref. Ivory or Dawn), a tablespoon of soap to a quart of water (enough to make suds because the suds asphyxiate them). For ants i use DE (diatomacous earth) Neem oil mix for ants on plants and a soap and water spray with a few drops of citrus oil (i use clove oil and cinnamon --for ants on walls, etc), for mildew a milk and water spray in full sun, for things attacking roots Neem oil drench and water mix, for things attacking leaves Neem oil, for slugs copper and DE, many people use garlic oil in their mixtures, i've not tried this yet. This gives you an idea, i am sure i've left out something. If you have a problem with some pest or disease, there is a forum that mostly offers organic solutions. Ask in a new thread, or read through past threads (like "Best Way to Keep Slugs Out of the Garden" a thread in the Pest and Disease forum on going):)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome from Texas! You'll like it here--lots of good gardeners with good information.
Although we are in central Texas we are in zone 8b also, and grow broccoli, lettuce, and carrots all winter. Onions also do well if planted in late winter, and garlic goes into the ground in late October-early November, and we are harvesting heads now.

Ask a Question