Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm from the piedmont area of NC with a small amount of experience in flowers and vegetables. I use containers on my deck. I'm a Carolina Panther fan and a long time RedSox fan.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
hi there ron815 nice to meet another north carolinian and welcome to the site

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The piedmont area of NC is a very nice place. I do some self-contained bike trips (bicycle) and have been thru that area quit a bit, including Mt Airy. I've hiked the Appalachian Trail, including the entire state of NC, one of my favorite parts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The piedmont area of NC is a very nice place. I do some self-contained bike trips (bicycle) and have been thru that area quit a bit, including Mt Airy. I've hiked the Appalachian Trail, including the entire state of NC, one of my favorite parts.

Thank you roadrunner. I live near Statesville NC, out in the country.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm retired now and took up bird feeding pretty seriously. I grow tomatoes in containers. Can't figure it out. I did everything right I guess. The first two or three tomatoes got big but never really ripened very well. The rest were fairly small. We had a lot of rain. I don't have many honeybees, so I tried hand pollinating with little luck. Any help is appreciated. Feel stupid because tomatoes are known to be foolproof.
Ron

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Too much rain and not enough sun can be problematic for tomatoes. What kinds did you grow?
Cherry tomatoes are pretty foolproof. I grow them every year, different colors. :) I even cook with them, don't mind the skins.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Too much rain and not enough sun can be problematic for tomatoes. What kinds did you grow?
Cherry tomatoes are pretty foolproof. I grow them every year, different colors. :) I even cook with them, don't mind the skins.

Thank you Beth, I can't remember, but it large tomatoes, and I bought the plants at Walmart. We had a lot of rain , then we had a dry spell, and I had to water. Is there a good site that really goes into it? Thanks.
Ron

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Don't buy plants from Walmart. ;)
Yes, ask in the vegetable forum...@Chuck in particular is very knowledgeable. Ask specific questions (there's a right way and a wrong way to water...)

A lot of rain followed by dry spells is hard on tomatoes, makes them split.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wasn't meaning any disrespect to this site, I was just talking more or less about a "how to" site. I'll ask on the gardening forum as y'all suggested. Thank you.
Beth, any particular problem with wally world plants?

Ask a Question