Hey yall. New here

Reaction score
Country
United States
What’s up y’all. First time posting here. This will be my 2nd try at a garden of super hots. Started these seeds indoor in December to try to get a jump on the season since we have extreme summers where we live.

06108969-1E16-4B33-949B-2C56C4873AB5.jpeg

DDF936A3-0EE4-440E-A6B3-8932D680D45E.jpeg

We’re going with two of each variety for a total of 16 plants

Carolina Reaper, Peach Carolina Reaper, Apocalypse Scorpion, Apocalypse Scorpion Peach Ghost, Ghorpion, Peach Mutant, Bane Strain, and Chocolate Brain Strain.

Hope to see y’all around and happy gardening!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

I'm not a fan of eating hot peppers (Capsicum cvs.), but the breeding of these super-hot varieties is fascinating.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! I wasn’t sure what to do with them last year as I mainly grew them out of curiosity. When I found myself with a plethora of pods I decided I would try my hand at some hot sauce. Fermented about 25 -30 pods with a bell pepper. Blended with some vinegar after a week and it was a hit. I may try breeding when I become more familiar with these super-hots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you! I wasn’t sure what to do with them last year as I mainly grew them out of curiosity. When I found myself with a plethora of pods I decided I would try my hand at some hot sauce. Fermented about 25 -30 pods with a bell pepper. Blended with some vinegar after a week and it was a hit. I may try breeding when I become more familiar with these super-hots.
I think you will find the following link interesting.

As far as growing hot peppers go, I have found that the hotter the pepper the more phosphorus and calcium it needs. I know this is just anecdotal evidence but I have been growing hot peppers for decades and have seen this first hand. My biggest concern with growing super hots is getting them to germinate but with a heat mat I get good a good germination rate. As far as fertilization goes I probably fertilize too much but I fertilize at soil prep, at transplanting and every two weeks. I use an organic granular and a liquid fertilizer so this means I fertilize with one of them every two weeks. I also add bone meal at the same time I fertilize. In fact, I think bone meal is as important, or more so, than actual fertilization. Bone meal is not fast acting but if you will coat your transplants roots when your transplant them it seems to work a lot better.

Peppers like a fluffy airy soil. So to maintain this fluffiness whenever I water I add 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide to a quart of water at the finish of my watering the plant. Also, I add molasses periodically to encourage reproduction of soil microbes. BTW, your plants are beautiful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Chuck thank you for the insight. Any recommendations or advice is much appreciated as I am still new to these super hot varieties. I’ll be sure to study that article you posted.

@harrylee thank you for the welcoming. Hope everything is going good way up there!

Ask a Question