Herbs that can grow in shade

Reaction score
I have very limited knowledge of home herb growing so far and I am wondering what herbs can be grown in shady areas. Last year I grew a basil plant fairly successfully, but it grew extremely tall. My room mate said she had never seen one grow like that and thought it was because it wasn't getting enough sun.

I plan to try another basil plant soon, but I think it is too late in the year now, it's getting cold at night. What other herbs would you suggest I try next season? I would really like a nice variety if that is possible.

Reaction score
I have very limited knowledge of home herb growing so far and I am wondering what herbs can be grown in shady areas. Last year I grew a basil plant fairly successfully, but it grew extremely tall. My room mate said she had never seen one grow like that and thought it was because it wasn't getting enough sun.

I plan to try another basil plant soon, but I think it is too late in the year now, it's getting cold at night. What other herbs would you suggest I try next season? I would really like a nice variety if that is possible.

Well you're in luck - as although they obviously don't flourish as well as they do when planted in full sun - there are quite a number of herbs that will do well when grown in shade - such as

Parsley
Cilantro
Chives
Lemon Balm
Thyme
Mint

and of course - as you've already found out - Basil - which although I think there are probably a few more - these are all the ones that immediately spring to mind at this moment in time.

Reaction score

aloe vera plant can be your choice

Attachments

• aloe vera plant.jpg
    aloe vera plant.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 374
Reaction score
Oh, that is exciting, I will definitely try cilantro next year, I love it so much, and mint. I would love to be able to make my own mint tea.

I am not familiar with lemon balm, do you know what it is used for?

Reaction score
if you don't want your basil to be tall, pluck off the top of the plant every week or so, and it will start sprouting stems on the side and grow bushy :)

Reaction score
Oh, that is exciting, I will definitely try cilantro next year, I love it so much, and mint. I would love to be able to make my own mint tea.

I am not familiar with lemon balm, do you know what it is used for?

Lemon Balm is a herb with a strong lemon scent and a hint of mint - generally used in chicken and fish fishes as well as with fruit and is often added to fruity drinks - as its lemon fragrance and slightly minty flavor adds a refreshing touch to almost any type of fruit - makes a great herbal tea too.

So as you like Mint - you may well like Lemon Balm too - I would however just add that although Lemon Balm does belong to the Mint family - it is not invasive like many of the other members of the mint family.

Ask a Question