Herbs from seeds

Reaction score
I am very new to gardening!

My 4 year old wanted to plant something this weekend so I went out and bought some seeds. I read that you can start seeds using an egg carton. I put potting soil in the little compartments of the egg carton. We did lavender, chives, and parsley. Honestly, I have no idea what will happen. We have it by the window sill. Am I setting myself up here? I feel like a fish out of water when it comes to growing plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, you are setting yourself up. What is going to happen to all of the water that you have to have to grow a plant. You have no drainage. As soon as the seeds sprout and get an inch or two tall get a spoon and transfer the little plant and the dirt into something like 1/2 of a clear plastic coke bottle filled with soil and poke a bunch of holes in the bottom of it. Then when you see a whole bunch of roots winding around the bottle transfer into a real pot filled with good potting soil and before you know it you will be cooking with real spices

Reaction score
I have them in the egg carton as a temporary start. Thank you for your help. There's a lot I need to learn and want to learn. :)

Ask a Question