Herbs for kids

Reaction score
Country
United States
I home school and I want to start an herb garden with our kids. Which herbs are the easiest and safe for children? My kids are 9 and 5 if that information makes a difference.

Reaction score
The first herb I grew as a kid was mint :) I enjoyed it immensely, because mint is so easy to propagate, so when I saw my new plants thrived got very excited. I definitely recommend you to try with mint first :) Kids will enjoy being able to propagate it!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nasturtiums might be fun. The seeds are big enough for little hands, the flowers are pretty, and both the flowers and the leaves are edible. (Might be easier to get them to eat a salad! (y) )

Oh! And the bean in a paper towel is almost mandatory! :D

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
From this website:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/08/010828075659.htm

I got this :
"Researchers report that nepetalactone, the essential oil in catnip that gives the plant its characteristic odor, is about ten times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than DEET — the compound used in most commercial insect repellents."

I don't know how easy it is to grow, but it sounds like it'll help make outside safe!!
I'm going to put catnip on the "seeds to buy" list! (I can see it now... all the cats are going to turn into little Nip-heads. :ROFLMAO: )

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
How fun! I homeschool too and we did a lot of little gardens when my kids were small! Kids tend to like herbs that are fragrant and fun... also ones they can easily recognize. mints, lavender, rosemary, dill (they know this from pickles and you can even grow cucumbers and make your own as a school project) ... lemon balm smells great and feverfew is nice to grow to help aid in fevers in kids. Chamomile is one of the safest and best herbs for all sorts of childhood illnesses ...and they can also learn about using the weeds in your yard as herbs! Dandelions, plantain and clover are some that are very useful... I have written about them all in a few magazines. Kids love to find out that dandelions can be eaten and are good for you!

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
From this website:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/08/010828075659.htm

I got this :

I don't know how easy it is to grow, but it sounds like it'll help make outside safe!!
I'm going to put catnip on the "seeds to buy" list! (I can see it now... all the cats are going to turn into little Nip-heads. :ROFLMAO: )

If you do buy catnip essential oil, make sure to dilute it very well ...it is kid safe, but it is also very strong and needs to be used at a very low rate... 1-3% usage rate to oil or alcohol that you blend it with. :)

Ask a Question