Herbs For Hot, Dry Climate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10-B
Country
United States
I've been having trouble with my herb garden. I just moved to a new climate, and I don't quite know what kind of herbs would grow well in my soil. I'm thinking rosemary, because I sometimes see it growing wild here, but what else? And should I wait till spring? Any suggestions are helpful and very welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! I lived in California from 1979 to 1985 (Im old, ha) and while I did have an amazing veggie garden for several years there, I no longer remember what rules apply to temperate, warm-weather gardening. o_O

Here anyway, fall is a perfect time to plant anything perennial. It has time to settle in and gather strength over winter to hit the ground running in spring. I'd think any of the Mediterranean type herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary, sage) would be fine now, especially the more woody ones. Are you growing in the ground or in containers?

Your best local resource is probably an independent garden center (NOT big box store) with knowleagable staff. And there are many warm-climate folks on here who should be able to give more precise advice. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking Rosemary too, I remember it growing in the gardens around the old city in Jerusalem, it smelled wonderful in the 90 degree heat :love:

Ask a Question