Herbs and Fruit Trees On Public Assistance

Reaction score
I was at Walmart today shopping for school supplies when I decided to browse the garden center.
I noticed that in the herbs and fruit trees section there was a sign that now people on food stamps can use their supplemental nutrition assistance cards to buy herbs, vegetable plants and fruit trees.

I think that's actually pretty awesome because it encourages families on food assistance to grow their own food and eat healthier.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
I think that is a great idea too. If they can buy a tree or herbs only once, they can have more of it later on at home. It is a great option for people. I have never noticed this option before. Thanks for pointing that out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a really wonderful idea:)
Almost every day, I hear people complaining about how they want to eat healthy, but can't afford it. If they started growing their own herbs and vegetables, they could save a lot of money.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good call :)

£1.99 spent on a Blackcurrant bush will give you pounds of fruit for years to come :)

Reaction score
I think that will benefit all those who can actually bring a plant or tree home, because no everyone can do that, but those who do might create a small source of organic veggies for their families. Great to see they are supporting families that way as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Excellent idea by the government! I hear a lot of people complain that they can't afford to buy fresh foods with their food stamps and so they are stuck buying processed things to eat. If someone could buy some plants with their food stamps, they could reap the rewards for many years to comee.

Reaction score
I would hope they would have enough space for gardens. They might not? However, they could container garden or on small patios. I think having a garden teaches patience, responsibility, accountability, and "reap what you sow." These would be great lessons to learn too.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
For those that can have a garden this is a great way to make that dollar do farther and give them a bette quality of food also,,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
MindyT- Even if you live in an apartment with a balcony or deck, you can still have a small pot or planter garden. I have actually done this in the past and it works well. You will not be able to grow much food, but even saving a few dollars on produce at the grocery store each year is a big help to many people. For the foods I can't grow myself, I am always in search of local gardeners who are willing to sell some of their bounty...it is still much cheaper than buying from the store.

Ask a Question