Herbal infusions

Reaction score
Does anyone here make herbal infusions from the excess herbs they grow? I am trying to do something with my basil and could anyone tell me if you could make a basil infusion and what would you use it for?
If you do it with other herbs how do you do it? Can you make it with fresh herbs?

Reaction score
You make it like tea using fresh or dried herbs of any kind . Chop up fine, pour boiling water over it, cover & leave to infuse for 10minutes, strain & drink when cool enough. This works for any herb you want to infuse. (make sure it is safe to drink first!) Basil will make a refreshing drink & has aromatic & carminative properties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie I would suggest you use the basil for simple syrup (think basil lemonade), though a basil infusion could be used instead of water for the lemonade. You could also use the excess basil to make pesto (you can freeze), caprese, basil oil, or herbed vinegar. I use basil with squash, tomato and onion for quick a saute.t

I just got some lemongrass yesterday and I will definitely be making all kinds of infusions from that as soon as it's mature enough! The stalks are really small and the plant was rootbound in it's container (I almost couldn't get it out) I can't wait to start using the plant.

Reaction score
"You make it like tea using fresh or dried herbs of any kind . Chop up fine, pour boiling water over it, cover & leave to infuse for 10minutes, strain & drink when cool enough. This works for any herb you want to infuse. (make sure it is safe to drink first!) Basil will make a refreshing drink & has aromatic & carminative properties."

Unarguably true..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, as much as I love basil, I have never given even the slightest thought of using it for tea. After seeing this yesterday I decided to look into uses for basil and found some very interesting information. I pinned this yesterday:

f9a3d926800919fe87c68b1a2499cf7d.jpg

Find it here: http://pinterest.com/pin/321796335845101823/

I forgot to mention before, I have also dried and powdered basil and added it to melt and pour glycerin to make soap.

Reaction score
You make it like tea using fresh or dried herbs of any kind . Chop up fine, pour boiling water over it, cover & leave to infuse for 10minutes, strain & drink when cool enough. This works for any herb you want to infuse. (make sure it is safe to drink first!) Basil will make a refreshing drink & has aromatic & carminative properties.
Thanks for that helpful information. I think I made a mistake here..I should have said I wanted to know how to make a basil oil infusion. I do not have enough basil or the equipment to make basil essential oil but I would like to know how to make an oil infusion. I tried using fresh leaves and for some reason it smells not so great. I would be happy to know how that can be done to get the best results.
@ Nelson Castro, I enjoy basil tea. I drink it from time to time.
@ Chanell, thanks for that link I will look it up when I have a little more time on my hands.. I hate pinterest because I always get stuck between the pins and find that my days has passed me by.. LOL.. :) I will let you know how useful it was to me.

Reaction score
Maddie, are you simmering the basil in the oil?
Yes, Chanell, that is what I do.. but the smell is nothing like the basil oil I buy. I did look up your link.. a few times.. and I did like the basil extract/tincture there. Maybe I will try that sometime.. I may have to buy me some vodka first.. we do not consume any alcohol at home. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, the oil that you buy may have a different base oil than what you are using at home or it may contain a different type of basil. If you are using basil from your own garden it's possible that the flavor is affected by cross pollination with other plants. That darn Thai basil affected a lot in my garden last year and the lemon basil seed I planted from the farmer's market basil isn't as fragrant as what I first brought home.

I think you should try making it from dried basil.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andree12

Latest Threads