Herb Garden Lighting

Reaction score
I have thyme, basil, mint, oregano, lavender sage, and rosemary indoors in 4x4 pots. I have four 60W full spectrum 6500K CFL bulbs about 2-3 inches away from them. Is this helpful to them? If so, how long should I keep the light on them? It seemed to make the mint very happy it grew straight up into the light and just looked impressively improved, but I don't know if it is helping anyone else. They ARE in a window sill, but winter is poor lighting for us. Thanks!

Reaction score
I swear, mint could grow in total darkness with no water. Especially if you don't want it to!

I leave my grow lights on about 12 hours a day, and I can tell you without a doubt it makes a huge difference. 2-3 inches is good, it will keep the plants from getting spindly.

Reaction score
I don't know much about this subject. What is the difference between a grow light and a full spectrum light bulb? It sounds like the full spectrum bulb is really doing a good job of imitating natural sunlight, or at least your plants think so.

Reaction score
There is no difference. I guess my age is showing. Years back when they started putting full spectrum lights on the market they were labeled "grow lights". Now they are called full spectrum lights by people that aren't lacked into old habits! Sorry for the confusion.

Ask a Question