Helping out.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just doodling because it's warmer here on the keyboard that it is outside. How many of us drop ourselves in for a much bigger job whilst innocently trying to help someone. I've been a member of forums for years and have many times responded to a request for help if it caught my imagination; so it was on a vintage radio forum when a member requested help regarding an open circuit inter valve Ferranti transformer. Open circuit means the coil no longer works.

I've seen these transformers a number of times but never seen one opened up it being enclosed in a two part metal cover. The transformer arrived and in the workshop I set about opening it up; all went well until I finally got it all apart and to my utter dismay I found something totally new to me; the coils were wound around three special formers and these formers were extremely fragile; I've wound many transformers but never one like this.

Well that's the job ruined isn't it because no way could I pop into a local store and buy one of these special plastic formers? As an apprentice I was taught to use my head and hands and this remains with me so why not make a new plastic former from scratch after all I had the original former to refer to for dimensions. I did initially try to use two part epoxy to effect a repair which as expected failed miserably.

I always have lumps of plastic etc in the workshop so I selected a blank large enough and set about turning it in the lathe; this plastic turns like a dream apart from the waste which gets everywhere coming off in ribbons. I went to great lengths to ensure accuracy because to make this new former too big or too thick the new winding wire wouldn't go on; it's imperative the correct number or wire turns are added to ensure the transformer is to specification. After lots of measuring I did manage to make this new former quite a bit more robust.

With the lathe work successfully completed I now needed to add the many holes around the circumference; I did the maths and knocked up a drawing on the computer to give me strips of white printer paper with just dots for the hole centres; these strips were cut out then attached to the former and I hand drilled them. A bit of fettling and I had a unique former in my hand; now it was easy to wind on the enamelled copper wire and reassemble the transformer. There were three of these formers one inside the other; just the big outer former was damaged.

The transformer was returned to it's delighted owner free of charge and with my compliments; I never ever charge for my hobby and although I got caught out and in my ignorance caused damage to the original former I simply made a new former. The pictures show work in progress. I love this kind of challenge and have tackled lots of projects which were described as hopeless. I'm not an expert on anything and although I've been doing this sort of thing for the last 55 years I still know nothing.

I had to stop doing these favours because they were taking over my life preventing me doing work I needed to do but every time I do something like this it gives me such a buzz.

I hope it's interesting; it's certainly unique and absolutely nothing to do with gardening but then I can't see our gardens for snow and I've no intention of sitting around being bored. :):):)

Kind regards, Colin.

IMG_3165.jpg
IMG_3170.jpg
IMG_3176.jpg
IMG_3180.jpg
IMG_3185.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Colin You're so clever!

Wish I could talk transformer with you! :eek:

Do you know which corded drill is good for driving nails into masonry or pallet wood please? Son's Bosch shuddered when the nail was only half way into the thickest pallet wood! We don't mind a corded or cordless one! Thank you in advance for your advice.

Also, what can we buy to make a round finial please?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp for your kind compliment, I've been a member of a number of vintage radio forums and few in home workshops can or do wind their own transformers; I had three coil winders that I used for winding all manner of coils but then I like to try things others shy away from. I'm self taught winding transformers but really it isn't so difficult once the basics are understood; it can't be difficult because I can do it.

What a simple question you ask alp about driving nails but it's actually a lot more complicated. A drill drills unless it's an SDS then it also chisels; I have a big one of these. (y)

Driving nails though you need a nail gun and it depends on what you want to use it for; you mention driving nails into a pallet well you've come to the right guy because I was in charge of the timber department at work and we made thousands of pallets including specials I designed as well as all manner of wooden packing cases/crates.

A decent nailer won't be cheap but they can be bought second hand but at a risk such a nailer would be faulty and nail guns are very dangerous bits of kit in the wrong hands; I can't stress the dangers enough.

For pallet work a "First fix" nail gun will be needed taking nails from say 50mm up to 90mm long. 75mm ring shank nails are OK for pallets. At work we exclusively used air nailers so a decent sized compressor is needed our nail guns were air Bostitch.

Cordless nail guns though are the likes of Paslode gas cartridge and I've seen a big Paslode fire a 6" long nail into hardwood blocks as if the block was butter; these really are the big boys.

I have two Bostich brad nailers in the workshop these only firing up to 50mm and these are air powered but they sink brads without problem. The first fix nail guns though of any make shouldn't have any problems firing nails up to their capacity in length; I've never used a Bosch nailer so am unable to comment but if it fails to sink a nail full depth then it's not up to its task. I've only used Bostitch air nailers but these are industrial rated and up to the job but unfortunately come with a hefty price tag. An industrial air nailer though is a most impressive bit of kit firing nails full depth at the blink of an eye in rapid succession; it depends on funds available alp but you'll only get what you pay for.

Is your son looking for something like this;

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bo...ooXObs95aL62O7BzYNxDZozX5RBli72xoCQvwQAvD_BwE

The choice though is bewildering; air; battery or gas cartridge; hobby or business use; what length and gauge nails; straight or coil feed; you sure have asked a question alp; out of curiosity what model is your son's Bosch nailer?

For sinking nails into masonry then he'll need yet another nailer; Hilti are the ones well known for this and usually very reliable; they also sink nails into steel but again are industrial and expensive;

https://www.hilti.co.uk/direct-fastening/wall,-formwork-&-insulation-fasteners/r6193587

What type of finial alp; a picture perhaps or a link?

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah thank you. I should have said driving a screw! Oh, dear! SCREW and not nail! OOoops!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Alp, try using your drill with a bit just a little smaller than the screw. Make a hole that is shorter than the screw (I usually put the screw next to the bit, make a mark on the bit that is the length of the screw, and then drill, stopping short of "hitting the mark". ) Then you can use either a Phillips or a straight bit to drive the screw into the hole with much less resistance.
If you are driving screws into masonry, you will need a masonry bit to drill the hole for the screw to go into.
Unless you need a lot of finials, just buy them from a lumberyard or on-line. Buying a lathe and chisels, then learning to use the lathe, and then purchasing the appropriate wood (not all wood adapts to being turned) is a lot more expensive than just buying finials.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@marlingardener Is there anything you can't do? Good advice. I usually get a pointy bit and use a mallet or hammer and hit on the head and then make a hole. Son always dropped the screw and got very frustrated. When we drilled a long screw into the thickest bit of the pallet wood, the Bosch just couldn't go further. I want to see if my son can make a planter which will look nice with some lovely finials!

Thank you so much for the practical advice, mar!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

No problem alp and you've gained a bit of knowledge on nail guns. (y)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=wooden+finials&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

There are lots of finials to choose from on eBay and at cheap prices as seen at the link above; wooden curtain poles also have finials if of the correct size and perhaps on Freecycle you might get a couple free?

Good advice marlingardner regarding drilling holes for screws especially for the bigger screws which take a lot of driving; I have a set of taper drills which countersink as well in one go for assorted screw sizes;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22pc-Tap...m=172997385623&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

There is so much available alp if you know where to look; I've got a big stock of assorted fasteners; here's some you've possibly never seen previously;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doowels-Furniture-Fixing-Screws-Machine/dp/B00HC9X856

These can be used to fix finials but I simply use threaded rod which I cut to length with an hacksaw and drill the holes to suit.

I have one of these Makita drills and it's been brilliant; I paid a great deal more for mine though a couple of years ago at Screwfix; this is the same drill at a good price and battery life between charging is excellent.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-18...-Drill-1-x-Battery-Charger-Case-/181441926007

I also have a much smaller Makita ideal for small screws and tight places which was bought as a present for me.

If you ever want to screw brass screws into hardwood always drill pilot holes first and to be sure run a steel wood screw in first then the brass screw; brass screws break easily. Rubbing the screw thread with a candle lubricates it.

As marlingardner rightly says a masonry bit is needed to drill into masonry these bits are cheap enough and are usually carbide tipped. If you are using a wood screw in masonry then it will require the correct plug and correct hole size; I have Thunderbolts that screw directly into masonry after the correct sized hole has been drilled.

https://www.tradefixdirect.com/blog/post/who-uses-thunderbolts-and-how-to-install-them

I use these Thunderbolts for heavier applications and they are very easy to use.

If you want to screw into metal as thick as RSJ's then there are self drilling screws for this and I have a selection;

http://www.evolutionfasteners.co.uk/downloads/tech/0/201107261044197206evolutionheavytekslores2.pdf

Locally we have two stores selling all kinds of screws/fastenings; it's an whole new world for you to explore alp; in gardening I'm a novice but wood/metalwork I'm at home.

Lathes and lathe tools do cost quite a bit Marlingardner but once bought they are a joy to use but for a novice woodturning can have the work ejected from the lathe after a nasty dig in especially whilst using a skew chisel but with practice woodturning is an excellent hobby; I've turned both wood and metal for over 50 years and never tire of doing it; I only have three lathes at the moment but I used to have five lathes; lathes hold a fascination for me and I've just converted two of mine to run on 3 phase electric giving both variable speed from one VFD.

Nice though marlingardner to see a lady with knowledge of such things; well done. :)(y)

I could ramble on forever on this subject and sorry alp; I looked at your question from an industry point of view rather than a DIY point of view; good luck to your son and I'm all for such encouragement. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Colin, I've never turned metal, only wood. I enjoyed doing it, but you wouldn't believe how very, very careful I was. Scaredy cat doesn't begin to cover it!
My husband is the real woodworker. He made this entertainment center of cherry. It holds the TV, DVDs, and a bunch of music videos.
Cab 1.jpg

He also made this Shaker style double candle holder. The center is threaded so the candles can be raised or lowered. He is so talented!
Shaker Style candleholder.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Screenshot_20180303-191954.png
@alp I use this impact drill with tremendous ease, though I use the screws with the star shape head slot and the associated bits, because I find all the standard slot and plus sign phillips heads to be useless for hard materials. This is an impact drill, not quite as heavy duty as a hammer drill. I also like them for cost, as when someone borrows one and ruins it, or we use them up in a project house the replacement is easy to afford.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the information. Don't worry, you do need an essay if you want to tell others technical info. I have read it and will ask son to have a good read. He's probably read it, knowing him.

I think every time I get a message, he receives a notification on his iphone.

@marlingardener Your hubby is so clever and should join the forum and talk to Colin. LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you for the information. Don't worry, you do need an essay if you want to tell others technical info. I have read it and will ask son to have a good read. He's probably read it, knowing him.

I think every time I get a message, he receives a notification on his iphone.

@marlingardener Your hubby is so clever and should join the forum and talk to Colin. LOL!

Poor fellow! I bet he stays busy reading!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just doodling because it's warmer here on the keyboard that it is outside. How many of us drop ourselves in for a much bigger job whilst innocently trying to help someone. I've been a member of forums for years and have many times responded to a request for help if it caught my imagination; so it was on a vintage radio forum when a member requested help regarding an open circuit inter valve Ferranti transformer. Open circuit means the coil no longer works.

I've seen these transformers a number of times but never seen one opened up it being enclosed in a two part metal cover. The transformer arrived and in the workshop I set about opening it up; all went well until I finally got it all apart and to my utter dismay I found something totally new to me; the coils were wound around three special formers and these formers were extremely fragile; I've wound many transformers but never one like this.

Well that's the job ruined isn't it because no way could I pop into a local store and buy one of these special plastic formers? As an apprentice I was taught to use my head and hands and this remains with me so why not make a new plastic former from scratch after all I had the original former to refer to for dimensions. I did initially try to use two part epoxy to effect a repair which as expected failed miserably.

I always have lumps of plastic etc in the workshop so I selected a blank large enough and set about turning it in the lathe; this plastic turns like a dream apart from the waste which gets everywhere coming off in ribbons. I went to great lengths to ensure accuracy because to make this new former too big or too thick the new winding wire wouldn't go on; it's imperative the correct number or wire turns are added to ensure the transformer is to specification. After lots of measuring I did manage to make this new former quite a bit more robust.

With the lathe work successfully completed I now needed to add the many holes around the circumference; I did the maths and knocked up a drawing on the computer to give me strips of white printer paper with just dots for the hole centres; these strips were cut out then attached to the former and I hand drilled them. A bit of fettling and I had a unique former in my hand; now it was easy to wind on the enamelled copper wire and reassemble the transformer. There were three of these formers one inside the other; just the big outer former was damaged.

The transformer was returned to it's delighted owner free of charge and with my compliments; I never ever charge for my hobby and although I got caught out and in my ignorance caused damage to the original former I simply made a new former. The pictures show work in progress. I love this kind of challenge and have tackled lots of projects which were described as hopeless. I'm not an expert on anything and although I've been doing this sort of thing for the last 55 years I still know nothing.

I had to stop doing these favours because they were taking over my life preventing me doing work I needed to do but every time I do something like this it gives me such a buzz.

I hope it's interesting; it's certainly unique and absolutely nothing to do with gardening but then I can't see our gardens for snow and I've no intention of sitting around being bored. :):):)

Kind regards, Colin.

I found this interesting, but just the mention of the word "transformer," reminds me that they were almost entirely to blame for the near death of the record industry during the war years.
Old 78s were made of a shellac, which was used as an insulator in electric motors, transformers and other electrical equipment. It thus became deemed "an essential war material," so might as well have been made of "unobtainium." So supplies were strictly controlled by the government.
With the limited supplies available, some records were made with a thin coating of shellac over a filler of sawdust. Some record retailers operated a system that to buy a new record you had to hand a old one in for recycling.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thnks marligardner; your husband is indeed well on top of woodworking projects; I'm very impressed by his work and you must be so proud of him; the entertainment centre will never go out of fashion and is the kind of woodworking I like; the candle holder is a delightful and unusual piece; I've got lots of thread chasers I'm keen to try out. I'm not at all into this modern way of painting over lovely old furniture which to me ruins it. Very well done your husband and thanks for sharing the pictures to encourage others to have a go; I'm sure your husband and I would get on very well together as kindly suggested by alp; we have a lot in common.

Woodturning is very therapeutic marlingardner and once the basic tool techniques are learnt then it comes down to imagination; the lathe is the only machine to produce from raw material to finished article. The lathe is daddy of all machines and I always enjoy my time on them. Many ladies enjoy turning lace bobbins as seen here being done by a guy;

Here's a young lady enjoying lathe work;

It's well over 30 years ago since Bron kindly bought me a brand new Record Power DML 24" woodturning lathe this coming with a starter kit of three woodturning tools; I still have all these and about a year ago I changed the headstock bearings so it runs very sweetly again. I highly recommend one of these as a starter lathe and I'll never part with mine which is still like brand new and a joy to use.

It's just been snowing heavily hance I'm a keyboard warrior again but in a few days the forecast is for slightly better weather and a welcome return of Blackie?

Keep practicing on the lathe marlingardner; you'll become addicted to lathe work as I have. (y):)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question