Helpful tip list

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw this tip on pinterest and thought it could help.

Spring is coming and this is the BEST Weed Spray. I made 3 gallons for around $4.00 last year after seeing a pin. Worked better than Round Up & killed the weeds/stray grass on first application. One gallon of APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, 1/2 c table salt, 1 tsp Dawn. Mix and pour into a smaller spray bottle. (you can purchase 3 gallon size Apple Cider Vinegar in the canning section of a good hardware store - cheap!)

Reaction score
Thank you for your tip on killing weeds. I usually use Round Up and that can get expensive! I end up on my hands and knees for hours pulling weeds, just to save a bit of money. I am also looking into a cheaper way to kill / prevent ants in my yard. I constantly spray or add granules to ant hills but they keep coming back. I'm afraid to let my kids run the yard with all the ants. Any suggestions there would be great too. :)

Reaction score
Great tip that I only discovered when talking to a friend a few days ago on the way home from work. I was telling him about ways of getting rid of slugs from the garden and he came up with this one which he swears by. Apparently slugs don’t like caffeine, it plays havoc with their slim producing glands and makes them dry up and immobilizes them. I will be trying this out at the first sign of slugs! No doubt it will be after I have had my early morning cup of coffee you have to put old coffee grind around the base of your new seedlings and newly potted plants for it too work.

Reaction score
Thanks for the weed spray tip! I recently spray my gravel driveway to get rid of the weeds and I'm just not seeing any results. I'm about to do another application, but I think I'll try this tip first.

I'm guessing it can be any dish detergent?

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Apple Cider Vinegar has so many useful purposes, from health to gardening. I was not aware that it could also be used as a method to control weeds.

Reaction score
The weed killing tip sounds a very effective idea. Does it have any adverse effect on new plants that are planted in place of the weeds though? Would hate to think I was killing the weeds but making the soil useless for anything else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
If the vinegar makes your soil too acidic, then it may kill new plants you put in the place of the weeds. Hopefully after a while the vinegar will wash away and the soil will be alright for them, otherwise you will have to choose acid loving plants for that area.

My only experience with vinegar used this way was with plants in pots, and the vinegar killed them very quickly.

Reaction score
Great tip that I only discovered when talking to a friend a few days ago on the way home from work. I was telling him about ways of getting rid of slugs from the garden and he came up with this one which he swears by. Apparently slugs don’t like caffeine, it plays havoc with their slim producing glands and makes them dry up and immobilizes them. I will be trying this out at the first sign of slugs! No doubt it will be after I have had my early morning cup of coffee you have to put old coffee grind around the base of your new seedlings and newly potted plants for it too work.

I must have super slugs because I put coffee grounds in my plants and they still look chewed by slugs in the morning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
This sounds like a very simple and inexpensive way to kill weeds, and I have both the vinegar and the salt on hand, so I will mix up some in the sprayer bottle and test it out, too.

I was reading about making a mosquito repellant from cloves, or clove oil, mixed with either water or rubbing alcohol, and a dab of oil, and then you spray it on to repel mosquitoes. It said to soak the cloves in the alcohol for 4 days, then add a bit of oil (so it adheres to your skin better), and then spray mist it on yourself before going out where there is mosquitoes.
I have my cloves soaking in the alcohol now, and it is starting to turn brownish. Then I will filter it good, so the clove bits don't clog up my spray bottle nozzle, and test it on the skeeters. We seem to have a lot of them this spring !

Ask a Question