Help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
My uncle left some bulbs for us to plant some time ago. I thought that they were tulips, and I was actually excited to see them flower. However, when they did flower, the flowers looked like this. They are very beautiful though. :) Can someone ID this plant for me?

2m6ptp1.jpg

20ady8j.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The bloom looks like a daylily to me. I may be wrong, I tried a search on google but could not get anything.

Reaction score
My uncle left some bulbs for us to plant some time ago. I thought that they were tulips, and I was actually excited to see them flower. However, when they did flower, the flowers looked like this. They are very beautiful though. :) Can someone ID this plant for me?

Oh yes - what you have here - are very definitely Hippeastrum or what are more commonly known as Amaryllis and although most people are only familiar with the houseplant variety - there are hundreds and hundreds of gorgeous colors and varieties to choose from that will happily grow outside.

As I think on looking at your photo - that it is one of the outdoor varieties that you have - mainly because it is very much like one of the many outdoor varieties of Hippeastrum that we grow where I live and which are in fact regarded as one of our favorite spring flowers - in just the same way as tulips and daffodils are elsewhere in the World.

Just in case you are like me and really have a passion for growing these beautiful plants - as I did a thread on the outdoor varieties of Hippeastrum earlier in the year- am including the link here

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/hippeastrum-commonly-known-as-amaryllis.1886/

which I hope you will find helpful - as there is plenty of useful information - as well as many excellent examples of the many gorgeous varieties available :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Thanks a lot, everyone! I definitely want to grow more of these because they are very beautiful. Many of my relatives who visited our home loved it as well. I planted more of these, but they do not have flowers yet. I look forward to the day when they will bloom. :D

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, everyone! I definitely want to grow more of these because they are very beautiful. Many of my relatives who visited our home loved it as well. I planted more of these, but they do not have flowers yet. I look forward to the day when they will bloom. :D

You're welcome and in answer to your question as to when to expect your Hippeastrum to bloom - that often very depends on a number of things - like for instance the variety - whether it is grown inside or outside and sometimes even on the climate it is grown in - but in general it would be safe to say - that most of the indoor varieties tend to bloom around winter to early spring - whereas the hardy outdoor varieties generally bloom around spring time to early summer - although saying that - there are a few outdoor varieties that flower in late summer to early autumn :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
You're welcome and in answer to your question as to when to expect your Hippeastrum to bloom - that often very depends on a number of things - like for instance the variety - whether it is grown inside or outside and sometimes even on the climate it is grown in - but in general it would be safe to say - that most of the indoor varieties tend to bloom around winter to early spring - whereas the hardy outdoor varieties generally bloom around spring time to early summer - although saying that - there are a few outdoor varieties that flower in late summer to early autumn :)
I see. I guess I would need to wait for a while before I see more amaryllis blooms here in our garden! :D Thank you again!

Ask a Question