Help with Split leaf Philodendron

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello, I have recently gotten this plant that I am having some trouble with. I am rather new in taking care of indoor plants so I'm open to any tips/advice. My split leaf Philodendron has been turning a little black on the leaves. I kind of suspected it to be sunburn, but my plant is not near any direct sunlight. I'm looking for ways to help my plant. I have looked for some help on taking care of this plant, but not much luck. Please share any techniques and advice ):

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 149
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That really looks like you are watering too often as shown by the necrotic blackened and yellowing of leaf margins.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with Chuck. And, I would remove the black leaves as they will never be the beauties we hope for as monstera growers. Check your soil, if still in a nursery pot be certain it is a well draining, chunky mix. If not, consider an emergency repotting so the roots can dry. Do not fertilize until you see signs of recovery and new growth. However, this time of year growth slows naturally so do not get discouraged if results are not visible overnight. Hang in there! Also, I have seen very inexpensive monstera at nurseries and big box stores, I assume due to the time of year. ;) Consider purchasing a moisture meter (less than $10) to take the stress out of deciding when to water philos.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Also, Check your drainage holes aren't blocked... you never know ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with Chuck. And, I would remove the black leaves as they will never be the beauties we hope for as monstera growers. Check your soil, if still in a nursery pot be certain it is a well draining, chunky mix. If not, consider an emergency repotting so the roots can dry. Do not fertilize until you see signs of recovery and new growth. However, this time of year growth slows naturally so do not get discouraged if results are not visible overnight. Hang in there! Also, I have seen very inexpensive monstera at nurseries and big box stores, I assume due to the time of year. ;) Consider purchasing a moisture meter (less than $10) to take the stress out of deciding when to water philos.
Thanks for the reply The soil has lots of bark chips, so I assumed it was good enough. I will definitely look into getting a moisture meter, I think it could help a lot! Also, when is a good time to water?; do you recommend misting for the foliage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for the reply, how often should I water?
There is no set amount of time between waterings and your index finger is the best moisture meter there is. When the soil is DRY an inch deep it is time to water again. Just remember to have plenty of drainage holes because as with most plants if the roots stay soggy they will rot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Misting would be great (Central Heating plays havoc with house plants) To keep the leaves clean just use a damp cloth.
There is a product on the market called leaf-shine... puts a nice gloss on the leaves but I think that's for OUR benefit don't you think :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Misting would be great (Central Heating plays havoc with house plants) To keep the leaves clean just use a damp cloth.
There is a product on the market called leaf-shine... puts a nice gloss on the leaves but I think that's for OUR benefit don't you think :D
haha yea... glossy leaves are very appealing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi again. It goes to show, we all have success with our own methods. I do mist some plants, but not my monstera, variegated and regular, and none of my philos get listed. However, I live on a lake in South Georgia, it is naturally steamy here. When it cools off I run a few humidifiers in my home. They are set to maintain a certain percentage of humidity and have large tanks. Since that seems to be healthy for both people and plants it is a simple solution. I do like to let my monstera feel dry past my first finger joints before watering. As a recovering over- waterer I understand the temptation to love those babies right to death. The moisture meter helps, and I treat "4" as the magic number. Once it feels dry and registers at 4 or below I give it a nice drink. I am fertilizing with Neptunes Fish and kelp fertilizer Every time I water until October due to the long growing season here. I am using a mixture of coconut coir, coconut Wood chunks?, perlite, play sand, and worm castings. In my opinion, even soil for succulents is too rich for most houseplants. I know people don't like to discuss a watering schedule, but it helps me to start checking plants on Wednesdays. I call it "water-me wednesday" being a big plant nerd and all. I usually do a couple rooms a day, trying to finish checking and watering as needed by Sunday. Maybe it is OCD, but those routines help me a lot. You will find your groove, no doubt.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't matter if it IS OCD Joyjoy3333... It works for you an' that's all that matters B-)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi again. It goes to show, we all have success with our own methods. I do mist some plants, but not my monstera, variegated and regular, and none of my philos get listed. However, I live on a lake in South Georgia, it is naturally steamy here. When it cools off I run a few humidifiers in my home. They are set to maintain a certain percentage of humidity and have large tanks. Since that seems to be healthy for both people and plants it is a simple solution. I do like to let my monstera feel dry past my first finger joints before watering. As a recovering over- waterer I understand the temptation to love those babies right to death. The moisture meter helps, and I treat "4" as the magic number. Once it feels dry and registers at 4 or below I give it a nice drink. I am fertilizing with Neptunes Fish and kelp fertilizer Every time I water until October due to the long growing season here. I am using a mixture of coconut coir, coconut Wood chunks?, perlite, play sand, and worm castings. In my opinion, even soil for succulents is too rich for most houseplants. I know people don't like to discuss a watering schedule, but it helps me to start checking plants on Wednesdays. I call it "water-me wednesday" being a big plant nerd and all. I usually do a couple rooms a day, trying to finish checking and watering as needed by Sunday. Maybe it is OCD, but those routines help me a lot. You will find your groove, no doubt.
As you said, it's a nice happy feeling when you give your plants attention. I tend to give them too much sometimes, since it's rather dry here. I have lost some plants to the dry vegas heat; so i guess keeping them nice and watered relieved me in some way.. but I'm working on breaking out of the over-watering habit. Trying to get a moisture meter as soon as possible :)

Ask a Question