Help with Shelia's Perfume

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all -
I'm new to roses and I noticed that some of the leaves on my SPerfume started turning yellow inside the plant. I'm located in California, and I water every other day since the drought here is so bad and tends to dry out the pot quickly. Initial inspection said it was a watering problem, although I wanted to get some more thoughts as well and any advice on how to water would be helpful. I've attached some pictures and the spots on the leaves are a concern as well. Any advice is much appreciated and thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8048.jpg
    IMG_8048.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_8049.jpg
    IMG_8049.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_8050.jpg
    IMG_8050.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 217
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there @plantingcalicat , Welcome to the forum!:)

Don't know which part of the States you're from, but hope you've kept safe from the extreme weather situation.(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, Calicat! We have a calico cat named Cali--any relation?
It looks as if your rose is suffering from black spot, which can be fixed. Either purchase a fungicide such as wettable sulphur, or make your own by putting one teaspoon of baking soda in a quart of water, add a few drops of dish detergent, and spray the plant. Do this in the morning so the foliage can dry with the spray on it.
First, remove all the affected leaves, including any that are on the soil. Then prune to open up the center of the plant for better air circulation. Black spot thrives in humid and airless conditions.
You also need a bigger pot it seems. Water in the morning, and don't get the foliage wet. If leaves do get damp, they have all day to dry off.
Some roses are prone to black spot and some aren't. Here in Texas we consider black spot to be "fall foliage." The foliage falls off and new leaves appear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome plantingcalicat. :)

Just to add to marlingardener's information. With your rose being in a pot and watering every other day the nutrients will have been washed from the soil. Roses are hungry plants so will need feeding regularly during the growing season when in pots, two or three times a year if in the ground. Don't forget to prune off the dead flower heads so that more buds are produced.

Ask a Question