Help With My Shrub Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Please excuse my lack of knowledge but I'm a budding gardener with a lot to learn. The attached (Frodo) was planted in a raised bed to a depth of 45cm and sits in well drained horticultural (vegetable) soil which is kept just damp. The shrub itself came with thick clay soil. It's in a south facing garden so has sun most of the day. I can't see any sign or infestation and cannot get to the roots to check them. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome please. Only around 20% of it is still green which is the very top part and only in the middle of the 'pom pom'. Thank you.
IMG_20190715_171113324_HDR.jpg

- Brad -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Brad1988 your plant is a tree - a very big tree that is almost totally dead because it hasn't got enough space for its roots. Raised beds are quite limiting, and not suitable for big plants. The best thing to do is remove that now I'm afraid..... one for the bonfire.
If I may, I would also like to suggest that you think about pruning your other plants back a bit. By doing this you will encourage some nice new growth at the sides and thicken the shrubs up a bit. The Photinia (with the red leaves) will benefit from a light prune by showing all the following new growth with bright red colour as well as the shrub filling out.
When using raised beds, you will need to add some organic mulch regularly as the plants will need the extra feed, and just like pots, they will require rather more watering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Tetters, thanks for the info. Yeah I think dead would be a good assumption. Thank you for the extra info about the Photinia, i'll make sure to give it a hair cut at the end of the growing season.

Ask a Question