Help with my Palm!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
Just two quick questions. I am spending some time trying to help my indoor plants that have been too unhappy for too long. One of them I am trying to help is a type of palm. I can't remember where I got it so I don't know what it is. It still looks young, as in small, because I never took the time to figure out what it needed. Other than trying a few things like trying to find the right window, redoing it's soil and pot, and giving it some plant food. I have had it for a few years now and I just can't make it happy. It seems to be just an every day indoor house palm. I had a palm before that died. Forgot the name. It had its leaves coming out from the bulb that stuck out of the top of the soil. It's not one of those. I guess it looks kind of like what they call a Lady's palm or a majesty Palm. I got some of Jobe's granular palm plant food and I hope that helps. I am wondering if it is o.k. to just put some of this product on the top inch or two of soil like plant food. Well, it does say it's a plant food but the bag talks about mixing it onto the soil when you are first planting your palm. So I don't know. And it stinks like manure. And the other thing is I ordered some dried Spanish moss. This doesn't go into the soil, right? You just put it on top a couple of inches? And do you take it right out of the bag dry and put it on the top of the soil of the plant or do you soak it first, ring it out, and then do it? I see it talked about on the web and I am kind of confused. Is there anything else I can do for it? I gave it some palm feeding sticks through the topsoil a couple of months ago and it seemed to respond well to that. But only at first and it just perked up for a bit and then went back to the way it always is which is staying barely alive. Not growing, tips are brown. Eventually, the whole leaf turns brown and I take it off. It has only a few leaves or whatever they are called. Unfortunately, before that, I was not feeding my house plants very often. Not a routine for sure. I tend to be more kind. Thx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you can post a picture we could figure out what kind of palm it is and give more specific help, because those 2 palms have different requirements and 1 is the worst houseplant imaginable. If it has a big fat trunk and leaves that look like feathers it is a Majesty palm and you just enjoy it while it lasts then toss it. As far as the fertilizer goes, just follow the directions. If the fertilizer says use them every 3 months, don't use anything else until it's been at least 3 months. Use the Spanish Moss as a decorative mulch either dry or wet.

Ask a Question