Help with lemon tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have a lemon tree about 2 years old and only have gotten 2 lemons off it. Didn’t even get any this year. I’ve never pruned it any suggestion or ideas on how to do that I have no idea where to start. Also planning on putting in the ground next year. I live in Newnan Georgia any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not a lemon tree owner but popped in to point out that lemon is the source of so many questions that a site search may well lead to a host of common ailment answers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have a lemon tree about 2 years old and only have gotten 2 lemons off it. Didn’t even get any this year. I’ve never pruned it any suggestion or ideas on how to do that I have no idea where to start. Also planning on putting in the ground next year. I live in Newnan Georgia any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all
You need to take the pictures in the sunlight so we can actually see what the leaves look like. We can't tell what color green they are or anything about them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Than you for all your speedy replies chuck here are the daytime pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The tree is definitely chlorotic as it leaves are about 3 shades of green too light. I'm positive that the tree is lacking in nitrogen but it is also possible it is lacking in micro-nutrients as well. Lemons produce best when in bush form. If I pruned anything at all it would be at the bottom of the plant and only small secondary limbs there. If you are going to plant the tree into the ground in a years time you should repot into a larger pot, one at least 1/2 again as big. What are you fertilizing with and how often?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The tree is definitely chlorotic as it leaves are about 3 shades of green too light. I'm positive that the tree is lacking in nitrogen but it is also possible it is lacking in micro-nutrients as well. Lemons produce best when in bush form. If I pruned anything at all it would be at the bottom of the plant and only small secondary limbs there. If you are going to plant the tree into the ground in a years time you should repot into a larger pot, one at least 1/2 again as big. What are you fertilizing with and how often?

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are citrus fertilizer sticks. Thank you for your quick response. So as far as pruning would you do anything or just give it it’s nitrogen a bigger pot for now and let it be until putting it in the ground. Thank u sir

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are citrus fertilizer sticks. Thank you for your quick response. So as far as pruning would you do anything or just give it it’s nitrogen a bigger pot for now and let it be until putting it in the ground. Thank u sir
I have never had much luck with fertilizer sticks and what you are using isn't really doing a good job. I suggest you get a bag of good organic fertilizer and something that has the micro-nutrients that the plant needs such as Bonide Liquid Iron or Chelated Iron and even even Liquid Seaweed/Kelp. I really wouldn't do any pruning at all at this time. Wait until the plant is in the ground for a year or two before pruning, if then. This advise is for keeping the plant as a bush which is its natural form. If you want a tree you can start removing some lower limbs, but do not exceed about 25% of the foliage per year, but by doing this you will reduce production. At this time you may also remove any crossing or rubbing limbs

Ask a Question