Help with identification please

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am trying to figure out what type of plant this is, it has grown too tall and I would like do some cuttings and start from scratch. It is one long stalk that has doubled over to get back to light, both leaves and stalk are fuzzy.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just learn something new from @Chuck so now I will be able to identify the problem with some of my mom's plants in her house. She has two with the leaves looking like this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just learn something new from @Chuck so now I will be able to identify the problem with some of my mom's plants in her house. She has two with the leaves looking like this.
Over watering is the #1 cause of p!ants doing poor!y

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Oh, that's a unique plant, first time I've seen such. But the curly leaves don't look natural to me, it's like the result of lack of sunshine. But anyway, good luck to that plant and I hope you can identify it sooner or later. It would be a good contribution to this forum so others would get to know of that unique plant of yours. Who knows if it would bear fruit?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

This plant is a form of Kalanchoe behariensis, a succulent shrub in the Stonecrop Family (Crassulaceae), native to Madagascar.
There are a number of different cultivars of Kalanchoe behariensis available in the trade.
However, the plant pictured is difficult to identify to cultivar, as it is severely etiolated due to being grown in very low light.
This lack of sufficient light, rather than overwatering, is the cause of the lank, drooping stems and leaves. Such an etiolated plant may persist indefinitely in this sorry state, but the lack of light will make the plant susceptible to breakage, disease, and rot.
I recommend that this plant be grown in brighter light, either direct or indirect. Kalanchoe behariensis can do quite well in full sun conditions. However, the plant should be moved into more light in several stages in order to prevent scorching due to sudden change.

Ask a Question