Help with Concord grape vine

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I'm new to gardening and new to the site. So I apologize ahead of time if I ask something that has already been mentioned here. I performed some research before reaching out but I cant seem to find the answers I need.

Last year in the spring I purchased a 1 year old concord grape vine. I planted it setup a trellis and it took off growing great. I was told not to expect fruit the first year which was fine. The vine looked wicked healthy and never showed signs of it being unhealthy. I live in Zone 5a and the temperatures last year were simply out of control. Days on end well below zero. it was much colder than an average winter.

However, we got a really warm and early spring. Within a week or so of the warm weather I saw my grape vine come back to life. It lasted for about a week everything looked healthy. I had full size leaves returning and everything. Then Memorial day weekend we got a wicked cold snap and I was out of town so I couldn't cover it up.

When i got back all the green leaves were brown and I thought for sure it was dead. I left it for a couple weeks and discovered that it had started to grow again but it looks like its growing from the root stock. If that is the case will the plant ever produce fruit? The plant itself looks amazing but i have not seen any fruit what so ever on this tree and I figured by this time it would have had at-least something.

Any input would be much appreciated. I'm 28 years old and this is the first thing I have ever really tried to grow so this is completely new territory to me.
Thanks
(PS I can provide pictures if needed)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello,
I'm new to gardening and new to the site. So I apologize ahead of time if I ask something that has already been mentioned here. I performed some research before reaching out but I cant seem to find the answers I need.

Last year in the spring I purchased a 1 year old concord grape vine. I planted it setup a trellis and it took off growing great. I was told not to expect fruit the first year which was fine. The vine looked wicked healthy and never showed signs of it being unhealthy. I live in Zone 5a and the temperatures last year were simply out of control. Days on end well below zero. it was much colder than an average winter.

However, we got a really warm and early spring. Within a week or so of the warm weather I saw my grape vine come back to life. It lasted for about a week everything looked healthy. I had full size leaves returning and everything. Then Memorial day weekend we got a wicked cold snap and I was out of town so I couldn't cover it up.

When i got back all the green leaves were brown and I thought for sure it was dead. I left it for a couple weeks and discovered that it had started to grow again but it looks like its growing from the root stock. If that is the case will the plant ever produce fruit? The plant itself looks amazing but i have not seen any fruit what so ever on this tree and I figured by this time it would have had at-least something.

Any input would be much appreciated. I'm 28 years old and this is the first thing I have ever really tried to grow so this is completely new territory to me.
Thanks
(PS I can provide pictures if needed)
You will have to determine if the plant was grafted. If it was and the plant above the graft is dead then you might as well pull the whole thing up. Pictures of the base of the plant and slightly above ground level should show if it is grafted or not. On grapes about 90% of the time they are grafted onto a different root stock

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum! When you get a moment please add your zone, area so that people can offer advice relative to your growing venue and also because you just might meet someone in a neighbouring town!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This thread is interesting to me because we also have a grape vine that is now growing but no trellis. We are at a loss on what kind of trellis to install since iron bars are expensive and welding is also expensive. It has 3 long vines that are creeping to the wall of our kitchen. We planted it in a planter box and it looks very healthy.

As with the start of this thread, I guess your grape vine will still bear fruit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am no pro, but my mother grew concord grapes before she passed away. She didn't really get good grapes until this last year. I think it took hers roughly 2 years before they really did anything notable.
She thought a cold snap killed it one year, but the next spring it came back again. Hopefully yours do the same! She planted her along a fence and just allowed them to grow along it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I didn't have any luck growing Concord grapes, so I planted Mars grapes and it took 3 years to get any thing I could even call a grape, this year I'm giving grape to every one I know. all I do is water them a lot and they grow

Reaction score
Country
United States
This thread is interesting to me because we also have a grape vine that is now growing but no trellis. We are at a loss on what kind of trellis to install since iron bars are expensive and welding is also expensive. It has 3 long vines that are creeping to the wall of our kitchen. We planted it in a planter box and it looks very healthy.

As with the start of this thread, I guess your grape vine will still bear fruit.
They don't really need a trellis just two poles with a couple wires between them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
They don't really need a trellis just two poles with a couple wires between them

Thank you for the suggestion. Since we are having a hard time to decide on the steel trellis, my husband installed 2 bamboo branches that have a spread of 3 feet maybe. Now the 2 vines of our grapes are climbing that bamboo branch. And as per your suggestion, the poles will be installed this weekend if the rains will not come. It's too hard to work in the wet garden.

Ask a Question