Help with Cheroke

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I am new here. I’ve been gardening for a few years now, and do well with some things and struggle with others...learning still!

I need some advice on Cherokee Purple Tomatoes. I purchased these plants from Home Depot about 8 weeks ago. In that time I have had very low growth. They seem to be getting very tall and not filling out with leaves. Some plants are doing better than others.

I live in North Texas, for reference to climate. I purchased a good loose soil for vegetables as well. My friends plants are doing much better than mine and already four times the size. Any tips?

Thank You!

Attachments

• FCC21EB9-D44D-48EF-95B8-FFE138EA62DB.jpeg
    FCC21EB9-D44D-48EF-95B8-FFE138EA62DB.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 0735DA23-B025-480B-892A-3DE9D7D57049.jpeg
    0735DA23-B025-480B-892A-3DE9D7D57049.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What are you fertilizing with, how much and how often? How many hours of direct sun do they get?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m using miracle grow performance organically. I’ve used it twice. So once per month. Plenty of direct sunlight. Several hours per day. I grow multiple citrus trees and other stuff successfully in the same spot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m using miracle grow performance organically. I’ve used it twice. So once per month. Plenty of direct sunlight. Several hours per day. I grow multiple citrus trees and other stuff successfully in the same spot.
The directions say to use this stuff every 7 days. This is supposed to be an organic fertilizer with a NPK of 11-3-8 which is high nitrogen content and should give you much more foliage. Being in Texas I know you can get good fertilizers and even though this stuff is rated OMRI I wouldn't use it on a bet. The only thing besides this fertilizer that I take issue with is not planting the plants in the middle of the bucket. It appears that they are planted next to the side of the container. I started my CP seeds Feb 2 and stuck them in the ground April 1. I have 4 CP plants. They are now 3 1/2+ feet tall and have many large tomatoes and setting more each day. I have been gardening for many decades and I have never heard one good thing about any Miracle Grow products from their soils to fertilizers. So if you want to continue to use this stuff go ahead but use as directed.
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I did plant them in the middle, if you look close the stem stretched to the side there. I’ll stake it up so its straitened out.

What fertilizers and feeding schedule would you recommend? I’m familiar with Jack’s magic 20-20-20 but that’s even higher in nitrogen.

Thank you for your help! Those are great looking tomato plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Go to a feed store or nursery and get a bag of Medina 3-2-3. Also get a jug of Medina Hasta Grow. Get a bag of Blood Meal. The 3-2-3 is a slow acting organic fertilizer. Sprinkle a couple of big handfuls around on the soil. Next place about 2 big tablespoons of blood meal around the base of the plants. Next, sprinkle about 1/2 cup of Epsom Salts on the soil. Water everything in well. In about a week to ten days drench the soil as per directions with the Hasta Grow. Use the Hasta Grow every 2 weeks. Within a month you will have nice plants.
P.S. Give that Miracle Grow stuff to someone you don't like. :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Go to a feed store or nursery and get a bag of Medina 3-2-3. Also get a jug of Medina Hasta Grow. Get a bag of Blood Meal. The 3-2-3 is a slow acting organic fertilizer. Sprinkle a couple of big handfuls around on the soil. Next place about 2 big tablespoons of blood meal around the base of the plants. Next, sprinkle about 1/2 cup of Epsom Salts on the soil. Water everything in well. In about a week to ten days drench the soil as per directions with the Hasta Grow. Use the Hasta Grow every 2 weeks. Within a month you will have nice plants.
P.S. Give that Miracle Grow stuff to someone you don't like. :D

how often would you recommend repeating the epsom salt and blood meal?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
how often would you recommend repeating the epsom salt and blood meal?
The epsom salts when the fruit is about the size of a golfball. The blood meal whenever you see yellowing of the new growth or if you think the foliage isn't growing as you would like. Don't use too much though.

Ask a Question