Help, what is happening???

Reaction score
Country
Australia
i have recently bought a few weeping rosebud cherry trees (pendula rosea).
They are only in the ground nearly 2 weeks, I have kept them very well watered but they seem to be struggling and needing help.
The leaves are curling up holes appearing in leafs and failing off tree and nearly leaving bare.
What should I be doing????

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 260
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 260
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
i have recently bought a few weeping rosebud cherry trees (pendula rosea).
They are only in the ground nearly 2 weeks, I have kept them very well watered but they seem to be struggling and needing help.
The leaves are curling up holes appearing in leafs and failing off tree and nearly leaving bare.
What should I be doing????
I think it is transplant shock. Did you fill the hole you dug for the tree with water before setting the tree? Was this a bare root tree or was it in a container. If in a container did you check for a compacted root ball and loosen up the roots? It looks like a lack of water in the pics. Sometimes the root ball of a containerized plant is so dense that water will not penetrate it and just runs off to the side leaving the roots dry even though it looks to be well watered. If this is the case water with a very slow drip for at least 24 hours.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I think it is transplant shock. Did you fill the hole you dug for the tree with water before setting the tree? Was this a bare root tree or was it in a container. If in a container did you check for a compacted root ball and loosen up the roots? It looks like a lack of water in the pics. Sometimes the root ball of a containerized plant is so dense that water will not penetrate it and just runs off to the side leaving the roots dry even though it looks to be well watered. If this is the case water with a very slow drip for at least 24 hours.
Thanks Chuck,
I did fill holes and well watered, i shall try giving a lot more water. The heat has been hot and dry, but I have kept watering sometimes twice a day. They were not bare rooted and came out of a pot. I have planted 8 of them and all seem to be struggling a little this one in photo is struggling the most.
Any further advice is greatly appreciate thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the parched ground in the area of the trees I tend to agree with Chuck. You will have to water them regularly to keep them alive. You could also try watering in some general purpose food for them to give them a boost. The constant watering will tend to wash nutrients from the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with Chuck also. It looks like your trees are going through transplant shock and they look very dry. I agree that they will need watered daily. You could also try putting some high quailty tree and shrub mix around them and topping the mix with some mulch. This will help keep the water in the soil and prevent weeds from trying to invade. Please make sure to not put the mulch right up against the trunks.

Ask a Question