What hedge type should I get?

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Hi there i just got some land and id like to plant a hedge around the perimeter of the plot. Id like something like a box hedge however i live in the alps at 1200 meters and it can get very cold and windy in the long winters down to -20c with lots of snow and up to +39c in the summer. im having a problem choosing what type of hedge to have and would like peoples suggestions what i could plant. IT NEEDS TO BE. cold, wind, heat resistant and none poisonous. Thankyou for taking your time to read this. from a new gardener

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
IT NEEDS TO BE. cold, wind, heat resistant and none poisonous.

Your going to be hard pushed to find all your requirements in one species Zenmaster. A high percentage of all plants we grow are poisonous, so is this a particular problem?

Take a look at the link below for ideas, it also includes hardiness temperatures. I will point out that all parts of Yew are poisonous if ingested.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would plan a zone lower than you are listed, just to be sure not to lose the hedge in a severe winter. Zone 4 if I read it right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Try Griselinia @Zenmaster - the plain green one is tougher than the variegated....... maybe you could look it up, we live in a slightly warmer place :unsure: I believe that Griselinia will take temperatures down to minus 15 degrees....

As an afterthought, I wonder if you could find a small variety of Pine ?? Pinus mugo springs to mind :geek:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
The perfect choice for those conditions could possibly be Siberian Pea, although you will have to water it when the temps are high. Minus 20C, high winds and snow are nothing that will trouble it in the least. As its name suggests, its native to Siberia. The fruit it produces are edible, and are sometimes used to feed livestock.

One slight problem though. Its thorny enough to stop birds nesting in it, as well as being eaten by animals. That does make it intruder proof. Think Triffid that doesnt move....

Ask a Question