Help strange white vine root type

Muq

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my veg bed was covered for the winter. After uncovering it I noticed some strange white vine type root stuff poking out. After digging a bit it transpires that these things have grown all over the bed. I've started to empty the bed so I can see where it's coming from. It looks like it's coming from the ground underneath, but can't be sure yet until fully emptied. Can any one tell me what they might be?
There's a hedge nearby, could it be from that?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200321-205126_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200321-205126_Gallery.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20200321-205119_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200321-205119_Gallery.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Screenshot_20200321-205027_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200321-205027_Gallery.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 149
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is definitely roots surfacing and they are probably surfacing because of being covered. If there are no trees nearby it has to be the hedge. I am starting to see roots from juniper trees creep into my garden from 50+feet away. It could also be grass runners if there was grass growing nearby.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its just weed roots growing underground if you leave them there they will poke their heads up and show you what kind of weed they are. Its hard to tell from the photos but it looks like bermuda roots. I run into them all the time when I turned the soil in my garden area.

Muq

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is definitely roots surfacing and they are probably surfacing because of being covered. If there are no trees nearby it has to be the hedge. I am starting to see roots from juniper trees creep into my garden from 50+feet away. It could also be grass runners if there was grass growing nearby.
The pictures don't do justice, after the pictures I dug deeper and there are so many roots. Surely the roots are just going to suck the nutrients away from my veg?

Muq

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its just weed roots growing underground if you leave them there they will poke their heads up and show you what kind of weed they are. Its hard to tell from the photos but it looks like bermuda roots. I run into them all the time when I turned the soil in my garden area.
Just googled bermuda roots and don't think it that. There's no end to the roots, no plants in sight yet

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh that's some kind of grass roots for sure. I find two major kinds of grass roots growing under ground, Johnson grass or bermuda. If you look at your local weeds in the area you will see the same roots growing as in your grow area. I've seen those kind of roots every year when moved soil. In a few weeks, when it get hot the roots will emerge into weeds and you will know for sure. .BTW you have very pretty healthy looking loam there. Looks like Super Soil and it's no wonder those grass roots are thriving.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like Couch grass to me too. Hard to remove every scrap of it. Get out as much as you can, then, since it is in a veg patch, paint the leaves when they appear with a systemic weedkiller.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank the garden Gods that we don't have that stuff here in Texas. We have enough problems without that.

Ask a Question