HELP! Split leaf philodendron dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought a split leaf philodendron around three months ago. I left it in the plastic pot from the garden center and placed that inside a bigger stone pot which also has a drain hole. It seems that I put it in a place where it will get the sun it needs. I don't think direct sunlight really. The last month especially all the leaves have been dying off quickly. Like rotting on a few stalks at the soil level. I have given it a balanced plant food once now since it's winter.

What am I doing wrong and do I have a chance to save it?

Attachments

• IMG_8877.JPG
    IMG_8877.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 840
  • IMG_8878.JPG
    IMG_8878.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 820
  • IMG_8879.JPG
    IMG_8879.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_8876.JPG
    IMG_8876.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 532
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
WAAAY too much water. Look at that discoloration on that piece of wood. That is water leaching up. The leaves show classic symptoms of too much water. Keep the soil SLIGHTLY DAMP, not wet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
WAAAY too much water. Look at that discoloration on that piece of wood. That is water leaching up. The leaves show classic symptoms of too much water. Keep the soil SLIGHTLY DAMP, not wet.

You're right! I just pulled the whole thing out of the pot to see what was going on and realized the clay pot I put it in didn't have drain hole as I thought it did. What a dumb move on my part. Been sitting in water now for about a week, yuck.

Think I can salvage it if I let it dry out for a few weeks? Maybe I need to re pot it directly into the clay pot and discard the plastic one? I have just drilled holes in the clay anyway to prep. Maybe repotting with dry soil and rocks at the bottom layer would save it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Chuck nailed it.

I think you can probably save it with your plan of repotting and letting it dry completely. Philodendrons are notoriously "hard to kill" plants so as long as the roots aren't rotted you are probably good to go.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have just repotted it with a good amount of dry potting soil in the bottom of the new pot. I will post a picture if it survives the next few weeks (y)

Ask a Question