Help.. sphagnum moss for humidity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Joined some gardening forums for the first time I’ve been looking for answers online but I’m a bit lost... I have live sphagnum moss, my question is, can I put that directly on top of the soil of my plants that like humidity? I.e, tradescentia, monstera, ficus elastica etc? I’m not talking about mixing it with soil.. rather create a ‘carpet’. Will this help with humidity? Is there other things I should know about sphagnum moss? I picked it up locally. Should I clean it etc? Thank you I’m advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi everyone. Joined some gardening forums for the first time I’ve been looking for answers online but I’m a bit lost... I have live sphagnum moss, my question is, can I put that directly on top of the soil of my plants that like humidity? I.e, tradescentia, monstera, ficus elastica etc? I’m not talking about mixing it with soil.. rather create a ‘carpet’. Will this help with humidity? Is there other things I should know about sphagnum moss? I picked it up locally. Should I clean it etc? Thank you I’m advance.
Peat absorbs water and it has zero nutrition. All it does is help retain moisture and add a little acid so it would be appropriate to use it as you stated. As for cleaning it, if it has foreign matter in it I would.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes it will help holda moisture, but it will wick and dry as well. One thing you should know about sphanum is that it has quite good antiseptic properties and was even used for wound healing. Insects could love it for all I know, but in a bucket of water it does not turn gross on me. It gets used for air layering an propagation because it breathes well when moist.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you both :) i ended up making a moss pole for my monstera and made a moss 'carpet' for my ficus elastica. Will see how it goes.

Ask a Question