Help! Not sure what to do!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In June 2020 I acquired 2 plants from my late grandfather. A verigated rubber plant (1) (about 1.5 feet) and another (2) which I have no clue of the name. They traveled across the country back to my house and then I moved again roughly 5 months later.

The rubber plant's (1) growth is stunted and has lost most of the leaves bar about 6 right at the top and has only grown 1-3 new leaves since I got it, so nearly 2 years. It was healthy in the beginning. I have a non varigated rubber plant which is really well so I'm thinking of pruning but worried to prune as I dont want to cut off the only leaves it has left incase it doesn't grow back.

The second plant (2) has just slowly died and now has lost all of its leaves which makes it impossible to work out the name. The stems are very much alive however so I know its not dead. I re-potted it a few days ago as I felt the pot it was in prior, was too big. I discovered that it has too small of a root system to feed the stems above. I'm determined to keep it alive as It all I have left of my grandfather.

Could anyone give me an idea of what the best cause of action for either plant would be. I'm temped to prune both but so scared of killing them!

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings welcome to the Forums.

Please post photos. Even the leafless one might be identifiable, though no guarantees there. Severely pruning a plant in decline does have its risks, but if it only hastens the eventual end, perhaps it is a mercy, for the gardener that is.

In any case, confirm that you are giving the best care. A variegated rubber plant (Ficus elastica) will do best in bright indirect light. It wants regular water with good drainage. Confirm that the rootball both properly absorbs and drains away water. Take it out of its pot to check the roots and repot if necessary. Also confirm that the pot drains well and that the plant is not sitting in in a puddle in its saucer. Do apply a complete fertilizer on a regular basis. Monthly with a soluble formula is often a rerasonable amount to schedule.

Ask a Question