Help!!! Need window covered up

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi everyone,
so glad I've found this forum.
I wanted some advice. I have a relatively small back garden which until recently had nothing behind us. We now have a house with a side window staring right into my house and back garden. It's a second floor window as the house is built on a lower level than mine. I was wondering what you would recommend for covering this up, I have considered adding onto my fence but find it hard to find something that doesn't look out of place. Evergreen trees would take up too much room. TIA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Sarah. :) How about pleached trees?

1586273610324.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It can be a long time before anything new can grow to a height that gives more seclusion.

We had a similar problem when the people next door had built a ground floor side extension This meant that their new downstairs toilet window was nearly opposite our kitchen window.

The party fence was originally only 4ft high. So a few years ago after the completion of their build, with a bit of "fettling" I was able to change it for a six foot fence, with some trellis on the top.
As well as six roses positioned at intervals along our drive we have two Mayleen clematis in tubs, which for much of the year now blanks out the view. This was taken at the week-end so it'll be a while before the clematis fills out again.

P1030755.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Super info Sheal, I just love the the way your pleached trees look next to the stonewall in the photo above.. Would you say the Wisteria you have is considered pleached too?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
That was an internet picture to give Sarah and idea @oneeye. I don't have a Wisteria either. My garden is rural and surrounded by fields and tree plantations, it would look out of place to have such a well tended garden. I have to work with nature here. :) The view below is looking out from the lawn at the back of my house.

059.JPG

Ask a Question