Help - My First Gardening Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to everyone,

I have just joined this forum today as I realised I need help and also be part of a gardening community. I have never done garding and now realised I need some real help as I have no idea as to what I am doing.

Due to the lockdown I thought I would keep myself and kids occupied with gardening and being outdoors in the spare time.

So I have recently purchased the following:

1) I am confused - Do I need to drill holes in the plastic pots as I have read pots with no holes will drown and rot the roots?

2) Do I need to repot with holes and remove the roadstones, note I do not have access to things like pea gravel or crockery?

3) How often do I water was plant, fruit or vegetable?

4) How much water do I use each time I water the plants, fruits or vegetables?

5) Should I cover the seeds with a cling film or black bin liner to help give it heat and protect it from cold weather if I keep them outside over night or should I bring the pots with the seeds in the house overnight?

Note: I only intend to keep the fruit, vegetable in pots and will never plant them in garden soil.

Dwarf/Mini Golden Delicious Tree
- This came potted in 5 Litre Pot with holes at the bottom - I have since repotted into a pot over twice the size which has no holes but I put a layer of roadstone as I didn't know what I was doing. I used John Innes no. 3 compost. This pot stays outdoors day and night.

Dwarf/Mini Conference Tree - This came potted in 5 Litre Pot with holes at the bottom - I have since repotted into a pot over twice the size which has no holes but I put a layer of roadstone as I didn't know what I was doing. I used John Innes no. 3 compost. This pot stays outdoors day and night.

Dwarf/Mini Williams Tree - This came potted in 5 Litre Pot with holes at the bottom - I have since repotted into a pot over twice the size which has no holes but I put a layer of roadstone as I didn't know what I was doing. I used John Innes no. 3 compost. This pot stays outdoors day and night.

Dwarf/Mini Golden Gage Plum Tree - This came potted in 5 Litre Pot with holes at the bottom - I have since repotted into a pot over twice the size which has no holes but I put a layer of roadstone as I didn't know what I was doing. I used John Innes no. 3 compost. This pot stays outdoors day and night.

Strawberry Plants- This came potted in 2 Litre Pot with holes at the bottom - I have since repotted into a pot over twice the size which has no holes but I put a layer of roadstone as I didn't know what I was doing. I used John Innes no. 3 compost. This pot stays outdoors day and night.

Courgette Seeds - on 21 April 2020, I sowed the seeds in a plastic pot with no holes and I put one 2 cm layer of roadstone as I didn't know what I was doing. I used John Innes no. 3 compost. This pot stays outdoors day and night.

Squash Seeds - on 21 April 2020, I sowed the seeds in a plastic pot with no holes and I put one 2 cm layer of roadstone as I didn't know what I was doing. I used John Innes no. 3 compost. This pot stays outdoors day and night.

Spinach Seeds - on 21 April 2020, I sowed the seeds in a plastic pot with no holes and I put one 2 cm layer of roadstone as I didn't know what I was doing. I used John Innes no. 3 compost. This pot stays outdoors day and night.

Cilantro Seeds - on 21 April 2020, I sowed the seeds in a plastic pot with no holes and I put one 2 cm layer of roadstone as I didn't know what I was doing. I used John Innes no. 3 compost. This pot stays outdoors day and night.

Onion Seeds - on 21 April 2020, I sowed the seeds in a plastic pot with no holes and I put one 2 cm layer of roadstone as I didn't know what I was doing. I used John Innes no. 3 compost. This pot stays outdoors day and night.

Tomato Seeds - on 11 April 2020, I sowed the seeds in a plastic pot with no holes and I put one 2 cm layer of roadstone as I didn't know what I was doing. I used John Innes no. 3 compost. This pot stays outdoors day and night. These have not grown since i sowed the seeds.

Garlic Seeds
- on 11 April 2020, I sowed the seeds in a plastic pot with no holes and I put one 2 cm layer of roadstone as I didn't know what I was doing. I used John Innes no. 3 compost. This pot stays outdoors day and night. These have not grown since i sowed the seeds.

Pepper Seeds
- on 11 April 2020, I sowed the seeds in a plastic pot with no holes and I put one 2 cm layer of roadstone as I didn't know what I was doing. I used John Innes no. 3 compost. This pot stays outdoors day and night. These have not grown since i sowed the seeds.

Your advice is appreciated as I do not want my daughter and myself to fall out of love with gardening or be at loss with our garding project.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't know where to start. Yes, drill drainage holes in the cups. Only water your plants when they need it, and you won't know that until you get a plant growing in a cup. We probably need to get a look at the trees in the pots so you can take care of them. Can you take a photo of everything in containers and how they are doing? Show us what you have to work with so everyone can help you. Welcome

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You've got a lot going on here for your first time. I'll offer a few pieces of advice that might help.

1) water once or twice a week thoroughly saturating the soil. Let them do out between watering. If it's very hot, small pots may need more frequent watering than larger pots or in ground plants. They all need drainage holes. Not sure what readiness you have used, hoodie it's natural stone. Not really necessary, but shouldn't really hurry anything either, as long as the pants have enough soil to support them.

2). Tomato and pepper seeds are slow starters, some varieties are slower than others and the require relatively stable and controlled temperatures to really ensure success. Direct sowing these two is hit and miss unless you have the right conditions. Look up seed gemination conditions for the variety you planted. Under controlled conditions they can take up to two weeks to geminate. I would recommend starter plants for those honestly.

Let us know where you are and what getting zone your are in.,a lot depends on that. And I'll second the request for pictures.

Welcome to the forum and to gardening,I hope your able to stick with it. My kids love helping me in the garden and pulling fresh produce from it, although I can't get them to eat much if it still!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, Thanks for the feedback, it has been most appreciated. I live in Nottingham in the UK. I will post photos over a day or so.

Ask a Question