Help me with my philodendron please

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought it was more of a vine type plant. Now it's very top heavy and it has grown up and around the small trellis . I don't know what to do about it now . I know that it needs a heavier pot but how much should I cut or trim it without damaging it?

Attachments

• 20180428_184338.jpg
    20180428_184338.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 320
  • 20180428_184345.jpg
    20180428_184345.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 301
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

You have a big plant there. They are easy to train if you start when they are small. I have never worked on one as big as yours but I would cut all the branches to about 8”. Then I would start rooting the cuttings in water until they show roots. With all the stems you have there you will be able to start your own nursery.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

You have a big plant there. They are easy to train if you start when they are small. I have never worked on one as big as yours but I would cut all the branches to about 8”. Then I would start rooting the cuttings in water until they show roots. With all the stems you have there you will be able to start your own nursery.
Welcome to the forum.

I have 2 that have broken off and I put them in the fish tank. They seem to be very happy there. Rooting very fast. There are the brown roots throughout the trellis and then rooted to the soil . Should I cut those as well? Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would simply to give you a fresh start. If you cut everything back you can train it exactly how you want it. Feel free to tie it to the trellis with twine. You can also put floral stakes in to raise or lower a branch. This is one plant that you can have fun with and make it a real conversation piece.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
My Traveler Tree...Traveler Palm?...Rubber Plant, and my ribbon bamboo all nearly died, until I trimmed them down to almost nothing. I thought I'd made a huge mistake, deciding to do this, but within a month or two they grew over a foot taller, and sprouted some new baby plants. Don't be afraid to trim it!

Ask a Question