Help me ID this plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
IMG_0702.JPG
My aunt gave me a cutting a couple of years ago, and it's been the easiest, most persistent bloomer I've ever had in my care. But I have no idea what it is! Help a girl out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Larisa , you are very good at identifying tropical plants. How is it that you live in such a northern country? Is this an area of study for you? The Cacao tree you identified for me is growing very well. In a couple of years it might start producing chocolate bonbons:).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@Beverly
I know a lot of plants just because I live in the north. Here is incredibly well developed growing indoor and exotic plants. This is our selection and breeding of other countries. I grow mostly flowering plants. Some people grow a fanatically - that one species. For example, cacti (violets, orchids, fig-trees ...) These people have simple and rare species. All this can be bought from them.

As a bonus - in Moscow, a lot of fans of these plants. We even have a special forum. Every week, growers are placed pictures of plants that will sell. All meet once a week in a certain place for sale or exchange. I buy not anything, of course. But I look at photos with names. I memorize the names of many plants. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
@Beverly
[snip]
As a bonus - in Moscow, a lot of fans of these plants. We even have a special forum. Every week, growers are placed pictures of plants that will sell. All meet once a week in a certain place for sale or exchange. I buy not anything, of course. But I look at photos with names. I memorize the names of many plants. :)

That's really interesting! I've been looking at online breeders/nurseries for African violets and I thought it was strange that there was always a whole section of Russian varieties and hybrids. Now I know! That's so cool!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It is interesting to know about all the tropical resources, activities, and tropical plants circulating in Moscow. You probably have easier access to tropical plants than i do. I'll bet that magnificent park in Moscow has a conservatory with tropical plants growing in it as well?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Yes, Moscow has a large botanical garden. There are many areas - Japanese garden, heather garden, orchard and others. There is also a greenhouse with a winter garden and tropical plants.
Apothecary Garden - also a large winter garden.
festival-orhidej-1.jpg

There is also a flower club, house violets, flower exhibitions and other interesting things related to plants.
Besides breeding violets, our growers breed new varieties gloxinia and other flowers. Now there are interesting "Siberian achimenes".
In addition, we can organize a collective order of plants in nurseries in other countries. It's cheaper than to go and bring your own. In addition, it's easier to properly execute documents on plants. Last year we received excellent Adenium from Thailand.
But my favorite Adenium one that I raised from seed.
IMG_1439.JPG

Oops, we seem to have gone from the topic ... :censored:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
This is really interesting @Larisa and the photos are stunning. Now i must ask you if most Russian people share this passion for flowers and plants? or is it a phenomenon unique to Moscowites? You are giving insight to us regarding the Russian people that is surprising me. Please answer just this one more question here and if someone slaps your hand for going off topic you can tell them it was Beverly's fault.:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@Beverly
A lot of people across the country. :D
Many gardeners successfully adapt southern plants to the cold climate (in a few years, of course).
I think the farther north you go the more .

I know people in the Far North, which fanatically something grown backlit. This helps been through long polar night. ( 6 months - day, the night of 6 months). :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you for the insights @Larisa. It is nice to know the Russian people cherish such things. They are also very wise to be interested because in the not too distant future Russia may have a tropical climate while i am sitting here covered in snow.:eek: It is a pleasure to have you and the knowledge you bring on the forums:)

Ask a Question