Help me choose a leader - Ginkgo Autumn Gold

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ginkgo Autumn Gold, #25 container (~10 ft tall, planted early Oct, 2022)

After leaves fell, noticed original leader was pruned by nursery (reason unknown)

Several new shoots have emerged from original leader location, but none growing in ideal vertical position.

Current dominant leader is growing below original leader section on trunk at a narrow angle. Also growing at a poor angle to natural trunk path. Does this branch (labeled in photos) have included bark and a weak connection? Mainly Looking for feedback on this connection to determine next steps.

If the connection on the current dominant leader is poor, looking for opinions on the best candidate for leader replacement.

If current leader is acceptable, assuming I would prune the entire “original” leader area out? If I choose a new leader, assuming I prune the current dominant leader out?

Not a lot of experience with new trees…thanks for your guidance!
JP

Attachments

• F8A26916-ACAA-46A6-A765-D311EF2D4764.jpeg
    F8A26916-ACAA-46A6-A765-D311EF2D4764.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 17
  • EBD13FF3-FA42-4C80-8A64-2C7E7A52626D.jpeg
    EBD13FF3-FA42-4C80-8A64-2C7E7A52626D.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 9504FCBC-EB40-4E7D-AD05-44B2E541FCF9.jpeg
    9504FCBC-EB40-4E7D-AD05-44B2E541FCF9.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 18
  • 398AAF27-358C-42E9-8AC5-7F7B81DA9160.jpeg
    398AAF27-358C-42E9-8AC5-7F7B81DA9160.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Prune to that new leader and shorten the strong-ish side branches immediately below it. One of them should become the lowest permanent branch. The angle on the leader is a little funky but it will “straighten” as it grows.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for your reply! I elected to fully remove the awkward leader and chose the most vertical top branch as the new leader, shortening the others around it to at least 6” below. This was the suggestion of the designer from the nursery I bought the tree from.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That was the other option I thought of. Watch the new growth from the sturdy one I pointed out. Since it's so vigorous the new shoots will be stronger than most of the others. You could let that one be the lowest permanent branch as long as it grows sideways and not strongly vertical. Since it's in the lawn, you want the lowest branch to be above your head to make mowing safer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks and good call, I’ll keep an eye on the regrowth. There’s a better branch right next to it that I’ll likely keep growing instead, though. Hard to see in the photo, but would be a risk for included bark later on if I kept both.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I love the Autumn Gold Ginkgo Tree. Looking to buy an 8'-0 tree for my back yard. I live in Eastern Pa., Planting Zone 7a. I have a question about the best time to plant. Everything I've read about these trees suggest planting in the Spring. I've always thought that spring or fall was good to plant trees and shrubs. Actually, that fall was the best for trees, to get roots established before the dormancy of winter and without facing the heat of summer. So would it be ok to buy one now and plant, heading into fall? Or wait until Spring?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I don’t have a scientific/technical answer for you (I’m new to planting), but I was struggling with this question last year myself. For what it’s worth I ended up planting 3 #25 container ginkgo trees (1 Autumn Gold, 2 Princeton Sentry) at this time last year in zone 5a (WI) and all did great throughout throughout winter and current growing season. In primarily clay soil and some late winter pruning, too.

I did shave the outer edge of the root balls with a clean/new pruning saw just before planting to clear any circling container roots and spur healthy growth. I also made sure to get the true root flare at ground level. Had to clear the top 3-6 inches of container dirt/material for each tree. These things are probably just as important as spring vs. fall planting from my research as a newbie.

I’ll let the experts take it from here…

-JP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Excellent advice JP! What I can add is that it's best to use just the soil from the hole without amendments. The tree's roots will grow into the surrounding soil just fine without a 'transition zone'. Be sure to add a couple of inches of mulch around the planting area without piling it up around the trunk. Then sit back and enjoy.

Ask a Question