Reaction score
Country
Israel
20210901_133949.jpg
2021-09-01T11_34_26+03_00.JPEG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Intriguing, the leaves have arcuate venation and are in whorls of three. It seems vaguely familiar. Are there any old floral or fructal parts at the top of the stem?

Actually, this reminds me of a California native plant known as Channel Island Snapdragon (Gambelia speciosa, formerly Galvezia speciosa). I am not certain about this. If it is a Gambelia speciosa, it would be a glabrous-leaved form that has been grown in the excessive shade. Did this plant ever display red tubular flowers?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Intriguing, the leaves have arcuate venation and are in whorls of three. It seems vaguely familiar. Are there any old floral or fructal parts at the top of the stem?

Actually, this reminds me of a California native plant known as Channel Island Snapdragon (Gambelia speciosa, formerly Galvezia speciosa). I am not certain about this. If it is a Gambelia speciosa, it would be a glabrous-leaved form that has been grown in the excessive shade. Did this plant ever display red tubular flowers?
i dont know , ive found him on the street. heres a pic of the
top of it, maybe these are old flowers

Attachments

• 20210901_133937.jpg
    20210901_133937.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210901_133925.jpg
    20210901_133925.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Country
United States
Those inflorescences are very deteriorated, but they do somewhat resemble Gambelia speciosa. The Channel Island Snapdragon is a remarkably drought tolerant shrub, so I wouldn't be surprised that it is grown in Israel. If so, it should flower by next Spring, if grown well. The plant is endemic to the California Channel islands off the coast of southern California as well as Guadalupe Island farther off the coast of Baja California.

Gambelia speciosa should be planted it in a sunny spot and watered lightly until it is established. Eventually it may survive on winter rain alone. You can also grow it in a container if need be.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm seeing many photos online, perhaps U.S. sites don't come up in your search. Most of the pictures do focus on the flowers.
Here is a good photo of the plant's whorled leaves. Please note, not all of the leaves on Gambelia speciosa are whorled, only some of the stem leaves.

Also, here is a picture of a flower with additional information about the plant.

Ask a Question