Help identifying shrubs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi all, I moved into my first home in early January and have been enjoying this spring seeing what plants the previous owners left for me to discover. I've been pleasantly surprised with some hostas and lilies already!

Can anyone help me identify this bush/shrub? It's been brown and not very interesting all winter, but it finally grew some greenery!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

These two I believe are hollies - I'm just not sure what kind. If someone can tell me that as well, I would be very grateful!
image.jpeg

Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The first shrub is Winged Spindle-tree (Euonymus alatus), also known as Burning Bush for it's vivid red Fall colour. This deciduous shrub, with yellow flowers and winged ridges on young stems, is native to China, Korea, Japan, Sakhalin, and the Russian Far East. Euonymus is in the Bittersweet Family (Celastraceae).

The second kind of shrub in the third photo may be Japanese Holly (Ilex crenata). It would be good to see a closer photo of the foliage. Ilex crenata is native to The Himalayas, southeastern Asia, China, Korea, Hainan, Taiwan, Japan, and Sakhalin.
Of course, Ilex is in the Holly Family (Aquifoliaceae).

Ask a Question