Help Identifying nuisance....thing

Reaction score
Hey folks, I am new here and forgive me if this isn't in the right section. This is related to my lawn, so I thought I would start here. My neighbors have this...bush, vine, something....growing in their yard (see attached). Apparently it has quite an extensive root system, as I have root suckers from it growing up all in my yard, bushes, gardens. It is very annoying. Sometimes I pull up some of the vines as far away as 30 feet from the plant on their property.

First, does anyone know what this thing is? Second, any ideas on how I can kill it without killing the Fotina that this thing is growing up between? Killing this viney thing would not be an issue for my neighbors. They don't even maintain their lawn, but I don't want to kill anything else of theirs.

Any tips? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMAG0204.jpg
    IMAG0204.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums :)

You could probably kill it by painting a brushwood killer on the suckers, as long as its a systemic (check the manufacturers lable)

I'd make absolutely sure the neighbours don't mind you killing it though, folk can get really strange about things like that, just because they don't maintain their lawn doesn't mean you can just kill shrubs on their property.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I can't really tell from the photo, but what it looks like to me is that maybe a vine - Virginia Creeper - has grown onto a large shrub. If that is the case, what you can do is dig along your fence line and get the runner. That's really the only defense you have because it is unbelievably hard to kill. Then you can follow the runner or just pull part of it up out of the ground so you can apply the systemic product Zigs suggested, but I always look at chemicals as an absolute last resort.

You can also try burying a barrier along your fence line to prevent it from coming back. Believe it or not, that nuisance vine does have one good benefit - bees love it. I am trying to think of a way to restrict it just so I can have the bees continue to visit.

Ask a Question