Help identify these bugs please!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, first time gardener here and my poor little veggies have some little black flying insects mostly on the undersides of leaves.. I'd say they are about 1/8" long, narrow with long clear wings. Not sure if the pictures will help but hopefully it gives you an idea. They almost look like miniature mosquitos. New growth on my green bean plants aren't looking too good either and I feel like it may have something to do with these little buggers. Thanks in advance for your help!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blackfly, you need a Ladybird, or failing that, spray them with some soapy water, but not in direct sunlight or it'll scorch the leaves.

Welcome to the forums btw :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hey zigs, thanks for the advice and the welcome :)

I went ahead and ordered some ladybugs and let them loose last night, it was AWESOME! :D:D

They immediately went to work and there were ladybugs on literally EVERY plant in my veggie garden as well as the flower bed I have next to it.

I snapped these pics today.. after inspecting the undersides of the daisies it seems the infestation is worse than I thought!

These are aphids right?

Second picture you can see the ladybug going in for the kill!! :sneaky:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very cool! I had a horrid aphid infestation once and did the same as you - bought a bag of 1000 ladybugs to take care of them. It totally worked. :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ah ladybugs, natures cleaning ladies so to speak. There's an abundance of them around my garden and I love it! They keep the nasty's away. I'm lucky enough that I don't actually need to buy any, we have plenty of them around outside and sometimes in the house as well..that part isn't so great. I've tried the soapy water before and that didn't work out so great because it was in direct sunlight and scorched all my tomato leaves, I was so angry with myself that I never did that again.

Ask a Question