Help ID two flowers?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I bought this first one years ago, it was supposed to be .an annual in my zone, and since I had just moved here; I wanted "Flowers, NOW!!" I forgot what it was, because it wasn't coming back. :oops:

Wish I'd known it was going to be perennial, I'd have put it somewhere else!!
smack.gif

0611161045blue.jpg

This one was here when I got here. It has spread out from the garage to the point where some of it got mowed last year. :( This year, I am going to find a plant swap, and dig some up to give away. (y) So I'll need the name of it; "Unknown orange lily," probably wouldn't go over well. o_O :ROFLMAO:

0703011905orange.jpg

Thank you!! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The foliage looks a lot like spiderwort, but those flowers are definitely not spiderwort flowers. However, another plant that has foliage similar to that are lilies and the flowers seem to be possibly a lily. So my guess it's some type of lily, especially the top picture.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The foliage looks a lot like spiderwort, but those flowers are definitely not spiderwort flowers.
In the top picture, if you are looking at the wider blades of foliage in the top left - that is spiderwort! :)

The foliage on the plant is a lot like grass, I almost pulled it the first year it came back. Then I noticed where it was, and that there was a little grouping of the same thing next to it. The foliage for that flower is the narrow blade that you see going diagonally across the bottom left of that shot.

*Also, I just remembered, the bulbs (corms?) for the blue one were no bigger than a grape.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
First photo, I have no idea.

The second photo is a daylily, as you know, but with so many daylily cultivars, many that look similar, it's impossible for me to help you. Looks a lot like the invasive ones I see in the wild around here. They do form massive clumps and they're a pain in the butt to remove.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The foliage looks a lot like spiderwort, but those flowers are definitely not spiderwort flowers. However, another plant that has foliage similar to that are lilies and the flowers seem to be possibly a lily. So my guess it's some type of lily, especially the top picture.
That explains it, I guess I was mixing up foliage and flowers. I still think the flowers are some type of lily.

As for the second picture, since JBtheExplorer identified them as daylilies, then maybe they are this variety of Daylily: https://www.rachelsflowersandweddings.com/perennials/5-orange-kwanzo-daylilys/ .... http://www.hemerocallis-species.com/HS/Species/fu_Kw_e.htm

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Looks a lot like the invasive ones I see in the wild around here. They do form massive clumps and they're a pain in the butt to remove.
Yes, I know those!! I have heard those called tiger lilies. Around here, we call them ditch lilies. (I think tiger lilies have black spots on them, and are a different plant, but I could be wrong.) They don't have the extra ruffles. These are the ones you are thinking of?

th

As for the second picture, since JBtheExplorer identified them as daylilies, then maybe they are this variety of Daylily
Yes, I think you've got it!! (y) Orange Kwanzo Daylilies. Thank you! Now I can take some to a plant swap, and trade them for something purple. :LOL: (Or pink.) (Or blue.) :ROFLMAO:

On 1 photos Brodiaea laxa (Triteleia laxa).
Thank you, Larisa!! :notworthy: :notworthy: I will never stop being impressed, but I am going to quit being surprised!! :D

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, I know those!! I have heard those called tiger lilies. Around here, we call them ditch lilies. (I think tiger lilies have black spots on them, and are a different plant, but I could be wrong.) They don't have the extra ruffles. These are the ones you are thinking of?

th

We have both the "ditch lilies" and the lily in your original photo growing in the wild around here.

And you are right about Tiger Lilies having spots. "Tiger Lilies" are native lily species, and more attractive than daylilies. The term "Tiger Lily" is actually used for three different native species: Michigan Lily, Turks Cap Lily, and also occasionally used for Wood Lily.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
vary nice Triteleia laxa And Daylily Tigger lily Did you Know...... just a little fact on Daylilys there are over 80.000 cultivars of them going around :) I have a friend That has a large collection of them He buys them & I tend them & Keep the garden in order .....Its a lovely job..... Here is a few of the daylily's, from that garden ........
P1030343.JPG
P1030318.JPG
P1030344.JPG
P1030345.JPG
P1030346.JPG
P1030347.JPG
P1030350.JPG

Ask a Question