Help! How to re-fertilise my soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone

I'm new here and new to gardening. I started growing my first veg (tomatoes) this summer. I live in London (UK) and my back garden is paved with no planting beds. I grew my tomatoes in pots. I bought a large amount (700 lt) of John Innes 3 for my pots, it was quite an expense outlay. The tomatoes have done really well.

I assume the John Innes No 3 has lost a large amount of the nutrients it arrived with. My question is how do I get nutrients back into my used compost soil so I can reuse it. I have collected all the used coffee grounds from my office kitchen, my local greasy spoon kindly saves all their egg shells for me and the juice bar at my gym keeps all the banana peels for me. I wash and then dry these out and use a food mixer to convert everything into powder.

I literally have no idea what I do with this powder. I have two large spare wheelie bins I plan to store the soil in during the winter ready for next summer.

Can I just add the powder to the soil and mix and then leave in the wheelie bins?
Do I need to add anything else to the soil or will my powder stuff be plenty?
Should I mix the coffee, banana, egg shells in a certain ratio and add as much as I can to the soil?

I know I'm a noob but I want to get into gardening and it seems a waste to not reuse the soil I have.

Thank you for taking the time to read my plea for help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @TomatoGuy. I found your post quite extraordinary to say the least, and have never heard of anyone going to such strange lengths to grow tomatoes.
If you really want to grow veggies, I think the very best first step now would be to start removing some paving slabs. When you have enough space to make a bed, dig it over and add your spent compost. Either get some bags of horse muck from a garden centre, or grow a
crop of green manure to dig in https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=373 see the link for information.
There are plenty of ways to boost your old compost, such as using slow release fertiliser when you next plant your veg -Osmocote is good, and Tomorite for tomatoes among other things. The stuff you have been collecting is all ok if you make a compost heap for it, I`ve never heard of anyone doing what you do with it :unsure:
Please do get back to us and I reckon we can turn you into a really good gardener between us (y) Oh yes, and can you post some pictures of your available space ?

Ask a Question