HELP! Did I flood my plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b but same as 9b
Country
United States
Hello...I'm new here, and this is my first garden.
I just planted a new garden over the past few weeks. I set the timer on the sprinkler, and woke up to the water still running! It must have been 9 hours. I have transplanted tomatoes, beans sprouted from seeds, and all kinds of other seeds started. They are all raised beds, but they seem to hold water longer than I think they should. Could I kill anything? We were just talking last night about going to a hand watering system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is no different than a very heavy rain. Just let them dry out. I presume your raised beds all have some sort of a drainage system?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_20190414_065053.jpg
We get a little rain on our garden but raised beds and hills are good for drainage.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Some vegetables require more water, and some less. An automatic watering system doesn't understand the plants' needs.
Going to a hand watering system sounds good to me, since that is what we use. We harvest rain water, fill watering cans, and go visit our vegetables. Cucumbers are sponges, beans and lettuces require less water, and while wandering through the rows we see what needs more and what doesn't.
Overwatering can kill plants, but not likely when the plants are in the soil. Their growth could be stunted or they could lose the needed nutrients as they are washed away with the overwatering.

Ask a Question