HELP!!! Cabbage worms

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! New grower here! I have/had cabbage worms. I plucked them all off and removed the eggs and what I believe was the larvas poops... >.< My cabbage is already starting to roll so, I cannot see the inside/middle. Should I be concerned that the poop and eggs are in the middle of the cabbage. I am just worried its not safe to eat. I keep debating on pulling up the cabbage and starting over or letting it grow and see what happens when I cut it. Any help is greatly appreciated... I already screwed up planting my Broccoli an Cabbage next to each other. At least I can say I am learning ;O)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b-10a
Country
United States
I just asked a question regarding leaf rollers and it was suggested to use BT. After a bit of research, I'm liking the sound of either neem oil or a salt spray. Hope that helps :)

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right "cabbageworm" = caterpillar of cabbage white butterfly. Assuming you cook the cabbage I can't see why it wouldn't be safe to eat, boiling/steaming will kill any caterpillars left and the leaves will be washed. Neem oil will work as will BT however these require contact with the caterpillar, so you have to unroll the leaves to get at them. Also make sure you treat both surfaces of all the leaves.
What is so wronng with planting broccoli next to cabbage? I grow all my brassicas next to each other, that is cabbage, kale, cauliflower, brussels and broccoli. Farmers grow their brassicas next to each other so what's the problem?

Ask a Question