Help (Bird of paradise)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I’m new to the form and new to the plant word. I’ve had a snake plan for a couple years but have made a new purchase. I purchased a bird of paradise and it was no contact drop off. When they dropped it off I was surprised to see the leaves curling and some with holes. I’ve attached a picture. Is this plant healthy? Is it saveable? I’ve had it for 2 days and it hasn’t made any progress. I don’t have a green thumb and have no idea what I’m doing. Any help would be appreciated.

How often should I be watering it? I hat it out in the sun yesterday and it was a steady temperature of 23 degrees. Is this okay?

Attachments

• D60ABF1C-7D94-424D-9924-5D0329438B86.jpeg
    D60ABF1C-7D94-424D-9924-5D0329438B86.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 141
Reaction score
Country
United States
Put your plant in a place that gets at least six hours of sun a day, including hours of direct sunlight. Use your finger to feel the soil about 1 or 2 inches between the soil and the container to check when to water. Let the top dry well before watering again. When the top is dry and it's time to water your Bird of paradise, water until you get just a tiny bit of water to come out the bottom of the container and then stop. Don't let the plant set in a tray of water ever. With it being outdoors you will need to watch it very closely because the sun can zap the water out of soil. If you have a indoor spot that gets 6 hrs of strong indirect light you can put there. I hope that helps.

Attachments

• fingerinsoil.JPG
    fingerinsoil.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 132

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... new to the plant word. ...

For your first go around you've taken on a rather challenging plant, depending on your location. Easy if you are in zone 10 or more, but challenging for any location that gets cool/cold.

I also had one as an early plant in a first time home owner situation. It required years and years for it to bloom...but it was absolutely spectacular when it finally did bloom. It liked a lot of food during growing season but was intolerant of cold weather. Seemed like it didn't even like it inside when the weather was cold outside, LOL.

They are fun and if/when you get blooms it will have all been worth it. Spectacular!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks good, just a leaf damaged in transport- nothing serious. I'm assuming that's C not F degrees. It should do very well over the summer in it's current location, just have a sunny spot for it inside for the winter and it will be happy. Since it's S. nicolai the flowers aren't that spectacular and it will get to be a tree eventually and need a MUCH larger pot and house.:D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It definitely needs watering. I swamped mine with water. They could take a lot of abuse. Mix in a good dollop of well rot horse manure at the bottom of a bigger pot (one size up) and well watered. Never to leave it dry. Reduce watering in winter. When the condition is optimal, the plant will split into 2 or even 3 and you can even divide it. But water is the key. The roots are big and chucky and need rich soil and water.

Ask a Question