Hello To All!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi!
I discovered this user forum while searching for a particular plant in my yard.
I looked around the forum and learned so much in the time I've spent here so far, I thought it would be fun to join!

I am by no means a gardening expert. I just try my best. Some successes & some failures result, but it is all fun. (And being outside it the best bonus!)

Mostly, we like to leave things as natural as they can be. We do plant some vegetables & annual flowering plants from the previous year's seeds. Some grow & some don't. Some produce fruit or flowers, some don't (It's shady clay-ville here at Green Acres.)

I tried to learn from watching (and pestering) my parents, but as the decades passed, I've forgotten most of it. My Mother was a Master Gardener who was an orchid expert. My father had no training, but could grow a marshmallow on the moon. Everything he touched grew strong and happy!

Thanks To All for having a great forum and for sharing your knowledge and freely giving advice! I am sure many people have learned much here.

Enjoy Today!
Paul

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Paul.

Our friends here have varying experience and even the most knowledgeable have failures, that's what gardening is all about and we learn along the way, it's an endless subject. With your parents having a green thumb hopefully genetics will have passed that on to you. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks Sheal & Zigs!
I'm not sure about the Green Thumb genetics passing down. Mine's more of a light teal (so far, anyway). In the 40 or so years that I was working full time, I averaged 70 hours, plus per week. I did very little gardening. So the Green Thumb gene was dormant. Hopefully it'll wake up eventually! Gardening sure is peaceful.

My parents sure could grow things (and they grew a slew of great kids, too).
I think the gene goes back a few generations. My Father and his Father grew roses and raised homing pigeons in Germany before they came to the US. Once settled here, my Grandfather went back to roses. He had an extra lot and it was nothing but rose plants of all kinds. I remember, as a young kid, some with stems thicker than my legs and taller than the sky. He would be out there summer and winter, just working away. (I did catch that 'outside' gene. I'll often be found outdoors in the dead of winter just messing around in the yard.)

My Mother's family had a flax farm in Italy. The crop was used to make linen fabric.
In this country, her Father maintained many different fruit trees on his extra. I remember him digging trenches and burying the fig trees each fall. In spring, up they came! It's too bad those trees (and the neighborhood) are gone now.

Enjoy This Day!
Paul

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
My Father and his Father grew roses and raised homing pigeons

I have a little in common here, I love roses and my brother breeds and races homing pigeons.

With all the knowledge your parents gained some must have infiltrated. You'll soon get back into the swing of things. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks All for the welcome!

My Father & Grandfather actually started with the homing pigeons for sending messages back & forth while they were with the underground in 1930's & 40's Germany. The hobby continued for my Grandfather when they were settled here in the U.S.
The homing pigeons fascinate me. It is amazing how they can be trained where home is and where their destination is located. (I still need maps for that!). Amazing creatures, to be sure!

And roses- Wow! So many types and characteristics to be enjoyed!

Plants and animals are great gifts, aren't they?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to our little corner of the web :).

Ask a Question