Hello! New to gardening!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
Hello guys.

Gardening has recently piqued my interest so I've started growing some catnip for my cats. I bought the seeds off eBay so I'm not sure if it's really catnip. Just wanted to try growing anything really!

I used a makeshift cardboard box as a pot and scooped some soil from a nearby tree to plant this one. It sprouted late December. Here's my progress from a few days ago:
zxvHAl6.jpg

I planted around 5 but they died so I removed them and planted new ones. A new sprout appeared today too next to the old one that survived:
bB5R3mv.jpg

Really looking forward to planting other stuff! I really want gardening to be my hobby. My country's environment is hot and humid so I'd really appreciate recommendations for starters like me.

I hope to learn from your experiences.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! :)

My country's environment is hot and humid so I'd really appreciate recommendations for starters like me.
Do you have room for an outside garden, or are you mainly looking for houseplants? Are you more interested in flowers, or herbs and vegetables?

Do you know what zone you live in? If you can find that out, and add it to your profile, it would be helpful! (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hello guys.

Gardening has recently piqued my interest so I've started growing some catnip for my cats. I bought the seeds off eBay so I'm not sure if it's really catnip. Just wanted to try growing anything really!

I used a makeshift cardboard box as a pot and scooped some soil from a nearby tree to plant this one. It sprouted late December. Here's my progress from a few days ago:
zxvHAl6.jpg

I planted around 5 but they died so I removed them and planted new ones. A new sprout appeared today too next to the old one that survived:
bB5R3mv.jpg

Really looking forward to planting other stuff! I really want gardening to be my hobby. My country's environment is hot and humid so I'd really appreciate recommendations for starters like me.

Looks like you're doing a good job already Kiona. And welcome.
rps20170206_070725.jpg
I've got Cat Thyme, Cat Mint and Cat Grass for my cat but it's the Cat Grass she loves best.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello guys.

zxvHAl6.jpg

bB5R3mv.jpg

If you really wanted catnip you will be very disappointed. However if you like tomatoes you will be very happy.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you really wanted catnip you will be very disappointed. However if you like tomatoes you will be very happy.
:ROFLMAO: I wondered, when I saw the leaf shape and the hairy stems, but having never grown catnip, I wasn't sure! Myself, I'd rather have tomatoes than catnip!! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is time to remove the big plant from the box and either plant it in the ground or in a large container

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
Thank you guys for the replies! :D

Welcome to the forum! :)

Do you have room for an outside garden, or are you mainly looking for houseplants? Are you more interested in flowers, or herbs and vegetables?

Do you know what zone you live in? If you can find that out, and add it to your profile, it would be helpful! (y)

Well, I used to have some space with soil outside but now it's gone. The most I can do is use pots indoors, I might consider planting something in a large pot outdoors if it's interesting. And I'm not sure what zone I live in, I googled a map and it said 12. I would prefer planting indoors to be able to protect the plants from the heat of the summer. It's quite cold outside right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you guys for the replies! :D

Well, I used to have some space with soil outside but now it's gone. The most I can do is use pots indoors, I might consider planting something in a large pot outdoors if it's interesting. And I'm not sure what zone I live in, I googled a map and it said 12. I would prefer planting indoors to be able to protect the plants from the heat of the summer. It's quite cold outside right now.
I can't tell what that little seedling is in the box with the tomato but the tomato will die if it freezes. It will not tolerate temperatures above 100F very long. If you could plant it into a 5 gallon container and give it at least 6-8 hours of direct sunlight per day and keep it out of direct sun during the late afternoons it will give you lots of tomatoes.
How cold is it there now and does it ever freeze.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
You can grow it in a 5 gallon bucket. Just make sure it has a hole on the bottom for drainage.

If you'd like to grow it indoors, you can! It just needs a window that gets at least 6 hours of direct sunlight a day. Or, you can get grow lights for indoor plants.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
I'm not really interested in Tomatoes. But I don't mind having them. I'm not sure if they're what I'm growing right now. :)

Flowers would be nice, any recommendations?

Last edited:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm not sure if they're what I'm growing right now. :)
@Chuck is sure, that's good enough for me!! You've got tomatoes! ;)

Flowers would be nice, any recommendations?
I really would recommend starting a new thread in the "General Gardening Talk" forum, asking what flowers would do well in your zone. We have lots of "tropical" members, but it would be easier for them to answer a thread with specific questions, rather than hoping they find you here in "Introductions"!! (y)

I'm a little vague on the really warm climate flowers. The only one I am positive I'd grow if I could would be the Mexican flame vine @Beverly grows!! :love: :love:

But I don't know how it would do in a container. :unsure:

Ask a Question