Hello Japanese Maple Question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Helo
I am somewhat new to gardening. I do have plants in pots that have been living for a long time.
I recently had some new landscaping done at my house, new sod, sweet viburnum's, shade plants and a Emperor I Japanese maple, around 2 weeks old.
The japanese maple appeared to be doing well but I just noticed a lot of dry leaves. I believe that I might have been over watering it so I can stop that and pay more attention to the wetness. Also, it is planted in some shade of an oak tree but gets more sun than shade.
My question is if I just overwatered it could this make the delicate leaves dry and curl up? Or could it be that it is getting too much sun and perhaps I should re plant it a little further under the shade of the oak tree?
Its only been around 10 days but I know japanese maples are delicate especially in the beginning.
I could also just stop watering it as much and see. Since I got new sod, I've been leaving an oscillating sprinkler on and the water was dripping all over the maple, which I just read can also cause the leaves to dry up and burn.

Im just looking for advice on what I should do, if it is over watering well i can wait to see if it alleviates itself, but once the leaves dry up and die the maple will not regrow for some time from what i gather. Perhaps Im worrying too much about it, I realize it can be a number of factors,
any help is much appreciative
thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

Japanese Maple is notoriously sensitive. It may well be getting too much sun and too much water, so maybe cut back on watering. They like well drained soil but not dry, so getting the balance right can be tricky! Which variety is it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! :)

Japanese Maple is notoriously sensitive. It may well be getting too much sun and too much water, so maybe cut back on watering. They like well drained soil but not dry, so getting the balance right can be tricky! Which variety is it?
It is a emperor I japanese maple. I think its a little transplant shock, maybe too much sun as well, so Im just monitoring it now and hoping for the best, not much of anything but keeping the soil moist

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, that's a variety that can tolerate full sun so maybe that aspect won't be a problem. Just focus on the watering - it's like Goldilocks; only 'just right' will do ;)

Ask a Question