Hello From The Texas Tropics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

I live in Flour Bluff in Corpus Christi, Texas (Zone 10A). I am a palm fanatic, and I am absolutely NUTS about Coconut Palms. I have 3 different varieties in the ground, with plans to plant 3 more varieties soon. I also love other types of tropical plants too.

John

Attachments

• Perfect January Day In South Texas 003.JPG
    Perfect January Day In South Texas 003.JPG
    418.2 KB · Views: 449
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome John. :) Growing coconut palms is something that I will never get to do here. How long will it be before they produce fruit (drupes)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Welcome John. :) Growing coconut palms is something that I will never get to do here. How long will it be before they produce fruit (drupes)?
The are marginal here. I live at the very northern most limit of where they can be tried here in Texas. They do much better about 125 miles to the south of me in the Rio Grande Valley, where the tall varieties can be expected to reach 40 to 45ft. in overall height with about 20 to 25ft. of woody trunk, and where the Malayan Dwarf varieties can be expected to reach about 25ft. tall in overall height with about 10 to 12ft. of woody trunk. The avatar picture I have is of producing Green Malayan Dwarf Coconut Palm along a large resaca (old river channel) in Brownsville.

With that said, here the talls could be expected to get to be about 20 to 25ft. tall in overall height here with about 7 to 12ft. of woody trunk, and the Malayan Dwarfs could be expected to get to be about 12 to 15ft. tall with about 1 to 3 ft. of woody trunk. The Malayan Dwarfs can start producing their first coconuts when they are only about 3.5 to 4 years old with a trunk as short as about 1.5ft. tall, whereas the talls don't start producing until they are about 7 years old and when their trunks are about 7 to 8ft. tall. The dwarfs stay somewhat smaller and are more resistant to a lethal disease in Coconut Palms called Lethal Yellowing, but the talls grow faster and produce a larger palm quicker and are a little more cold hardy. We get thousands of coconuts washing up on our Texas beaches in the spring, summer, and fall when the currents come up here from Tampico and Veracruz, Mexico, but in the winter, the currents head southward from the Louisiana Coast.

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum! In my neighborhood there are many palms! Now we have 2 palms growing in our yard :) It's amazing to see how they propagate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The are marginal here. I live at the very northern most limit of where they can be tried here in Texas. They do much better about 125 miles to the south of me in the Rio Grande Valley, where the tall varieties can be expected to reach 40 to 45ft. in overall height with about 20 to 25ft. of woody trunk, and where the Malayan Dwarf varieties can be expected to reach about 25ft. tall in overall height with about 10 to 12ft. of woody trunk. The avatar picture I have is of producing Green Malayan Dwarf Coconut Palm along a large resaca (old river channel) in Brownsville.

With that said, here the talls could be expected to get to be about 20 to 25ft. tall in overall height here with about 7 to 12ft. of woody trunk, and the Malayan Dwarfs could be expected to get to be about 12 to 15ft. tall with about 1 to 3 ft. of woody trunk. The Malayan Dwarfs can start producing their first coconuts when they are only about 3.5 to 4 years old with a trunk as short as about 1.5ft. tall, whereas the talls don't start producing until they are about 7 years old and when their trunks are about 7 to 8ft. tall. The dwarfs stay somewhat smaller and are more resistant to a lethal disease in Coconut Palms called Lethal Yellowing, but the talls grow faster and produce a larger palm quicker and are a little more cold hardy. We get thousands of coconuts washing up on our Texas beaches in the spring, summer, and fall when the currents come up here from Tampico and Veracruz, Mexico, but in the winter, the currents head southward from the Louisiana Coast.

That's interesting to read, thank you. I had expected them to be at least another five years older before they produced fruit but what would I know! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Hi there and welcome to the forum! In my neighborhood there are many palms! Now we have 2 palms growing in our yard :) It's amazing to see how they propagate.
Thank you. Where do you live? I love palms and we probably have at least 50 to 75 different species that can be grown here in Corpus Christi, with about 100 different species that can be grown on North Padre Island.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is an interesting thread. I"m glad to learn more efforts to grow Coconuts (Cocos nucifera) on the Texas coast. I'm curious how they fared with the exceptional cold in February 2021.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

I live in Flour Bluff in Corpus Christi, Texas (Zone 10A). I am a palm fanatic, and I am absolutely NUTS about Coconut Palms. I have 3 different varieties in the ground, with plans to plant 3 more varieties soon. I also love other types of tropical plants too.

John
So jealous!

Ask a Question