hello from south mississippi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,my name is ken.I work from home,I am from south mississippi. I recently built a hoop style cattle panel greenhouse,and i love it.however being this is my first greenhouse and i am new to growing,i am running into a few problems i did not plan for.

Its hot,really hot.I have a dutch door,and a back window like vent .I keep the back vent and the dutch door open but its still really hot.
My plans to help with the heat are.
1)Get a black mesh tarp to put on top of the green house.
2)install a misting system,diy out of pvc pipe..
3)remove the film covering off my doors,and install screen netting that allows air in.

Has anyone here built a cattle panel greenhouse?if so did you add a roof vent?

i am wanting to add a roof vent so hot ai can escape,however with my hoop roof being cattle panel.I am unsure on how to go about installing a roof vent.Could use some advice!

Also i have noticed my tomatoes and squash are not producing my yeild due to no pollnation(something i didnt think about)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Welcome Ken . I understand your heat and humidity and experience same here in east Texas.

I use cattle panels for various things but never a green house....interesting idea...but curious about using a green house in summer growing conditions? The pollination, over temps, and water would seem to be big problems for summer green house use.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Ken :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello! I have a small, dinky greenhouse purchased from Tractor Supply. Good luck with your greenhouse, Ken. But I don't know abpit a misting system, I don't think watering plants from overhead is hood unless they're ferns. Also, as for your veggies: tomatoes will drop their blossoms if weather is incorrect. Squash needs bees to help pollinate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Mauldinforge I live next state over in Alabama. If you are south of Montgomery you are in the semi tropical plain and yessir its hot. About the last thing you want to do is mist that greenhouse as the fungus will eat you alive. You need to raise the sides, and just let it be a roof for the summer. You can get some 50 percent shade cloth or better and be ok. It takes a lot of sun to grow those plants so dark will not do it, but too much can be a problem also given the temps you are reaching in your greenhouse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
High humidity/heavy air conditions inside your greenhouse will entice disease! You must ensure adequate airflow. Perhaps install a fan somehow.

Ask a Question