Hello from New England

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm retired and the daddy to a 6 year old rescued Chihuahua named Fern, some times known as Nosy Rosy because he has her nose in all the flowers she can reach. We live in a 1922 Craftsman style bungalow, That I been redoing after years of people trying to up date it. I have a American style cottage gardens and we are now about 90% chemical free I'm doing what ever it takes to save the bees.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Nice to see yet another garden lover - welcome

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome, @Fernsdaddy! We have quite a few dog lovers and owners here. And I like your gardening philosophy; I also plant (or leave native flowers unmowed) with birds and pollinators in mind.

Reaction score
Hi there and wlecome to the forum! First of all, let me thank you for your effort to save our precious bees :) Thanks a lot for considering them and adopting a chemical free lifestyle, many gardeners don't even think twice about the bees, but you do :) (y) Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Great to have you here - welcome! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi there and wlecome to the forum! First of all, let me thank you for your effort to save our precious bees :) Thanks a lot for considering them and adopting a chemical free lifestyle, many gardeners don't even think twice about the bees, but you do :) (y) Thanks a lot!
Trellum, If it wasn't for the bees I wouldn't have the gardens I do or apples on my tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Welcome, and speaking of bees I recently saw something on making bee hotels and put one together in short order. Not pretty but perhaps it will work, we shall see

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Welcome Fernsdaddy. I have a sister with 3 Chihuahuas, they are very cute and she adores them. She also has a Devon Rex cat which is actually bigger than them and thinks he's one of them, he comes running when they are all whistled. Very funny.:LOL: Pets are lovely gardening companions, aren't they?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome, and speaking of bees I recently saw something on making bee hotels and put one together in short order. Not pretty but perhaps it will work, we shall see
Everbrown, I think your bee hotel is for Mason Bees, there great little bees the don't build hives or make honey, but the do pollinate much faster and better than honey bees, I have both in my gardens and let them do their own thing. Mason bees will not sting you unless they think your going to harm them.

DeborahJane, Fern will lay and watch me work in the garden for hours until see she some thing and she off like a crazy dog. I think she is chasing windmills.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Congratulations and thank you for trying to go chemical free! Hopefully you will be able to influence your immediate neighbors to do the same. I don't use commercial chemicals in my garden, but I know the neighboring properties spray time to time for things like termites and fleas. Unfortunately, I'm not always around when that happens to be able to protect my crops from the drift. Thankfully, it doesn't happen too often.

Reaction score
Trellum, If it wasn't for the bees I wouldn't have the gardens I do or apples on my tree.

I know, that is why I'm so glad there are people out there who care enough not to damage them or their ecosystem (y)(y) Kudos to you for being so eco friendly :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Trellum, its been a hard job to change the my way of thinking about gardening but now I know it was the best way to care Mother Earth.

Ask a Question