JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We are planning on doing some much needed landscaping here on our property in the hopes of selling in 2-4 years.

Welcome! The best possible advice I can give you is to consider planting native plants. Not only is it becoming more and more popular in landscaping and gardening, it's also highly, highly important, and considering you're in Iowa, you're in one of the most important locations to help the Monarch Butterfly by planting its caterpillar host plant, Milkweed. Not all milkweeds are big like Common Milkweed. My personal favorite is Orange Milkweed:
IMG_3745 copy.jpg

IMG_1902 copy.jpg

It generally grows to two feet tall and looks great in groups.

Of course, it's also important to plant nectar sources, like Purple Coneflower, Blanket Flower, and Black-eyed Susans.
IMG_1907 copy.jpg

IMG_2858 (2) copy.jpg

IMG_1430 copy.jpg

I personally like planting my native plants in groups, intermingling with each other, rather than evenly-spaced. Not only does it help each color pop, but the less ground you have showing, the fewer weeds will pop up in years to come.
IMG_0775 copy.jpg

IMG_1764 copy.jpg

IMG_1672 copy.jpg

Big or small, there are all sorts of native plants out there that will amaze the next owner of your house!
IMG_3262 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone-5
Country
United States
Thank-you JB for all the information and beautiful pictures! I have so many things to think about and choices to make. Definitely will be planting some milkweed to help the butterflies. My daughter just loves watching them. Spring is just around the corner and I'm in the throes of planning. I've got a hill that needs color so all of those flowers will look spectacular. And I can quit mowing it. Thank-you again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Great to have you here! Welcome aboard :)

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum :) A pleasure to meet you, I hope you like it here and find this forum super useful :) Wishing you the best of luck with your landscaping projects!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello everyone!
I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to reading all the great info/advice that is available here on the boards. We are planning on doing some much needed landscaping here on our property in the hopes of selling in 2-4 years.
Great to be here!
Welcome to the site. I used to live in Iowa myself, and I must say I miss it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone-5
Country
United States
Thank-you everyone for being so kind and welcoming!
I was born here in Iowa; I moved away for about five years and really did miss it, too. We've been discussing the possibility of moving to another state and I don't think I could leave. LOL So I can relate to what you're saying, TG.
Yes, RosieCotton, that is my ultimate goal. To get rid of this hill as far as mowing goes. We're going to be attempting to sell this property in about four years and I don't want the hill to drive away prospective buyers.
Thank-you zigs, Becky, Trellum, Sheal, and Rrrrraine for the friendly welcome as well. I look forward to hanging out on the boards and soaking up the wisdom from you pros. I'm a total newbie! LOL

Ask a Question