Hello from Illinois!

Fritillary

Jennifer
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello! My name is Jennifer Bennett, and I live in Romeoville, which is about an hour from Chicago. I've joined this forum because I'd like to plan and plant a garden in my backyard, and I'm doing research. ^_^

I'd like to grow flowers for cutting and plants for natural dyeing. I am also imagining planting a number of different shrubs against the back of our house (it's so plain!) I am thinking of an osmanthus shrub, magnolia, peonies, lilac, and pussy willows. (All flowers I have loved since childhood!) If our subdivision's association allows, I'd like to use all or most of our yard for the dye plants, flowers, and maybe some vegetables.

I admire the formal gardens I see in magazines, complete with stepping-stones! I think that might be a bit challenging for me, a (hopeful) new gardener.

One major obstacle I don't know how to overcome, is the fact that we have a large population of rabbits and squirrels. They are so cute, but the rabbits nibble away our emerging bulbs, and the squirrels dig out our current container plants. I want to find a way to control them, without hurting them in any way!

I also am imagining a Tulip Tree (Liriodendron tulipifera) in the middle of our yard.

We've had a lot of container plants, and we grow a lot of plants indoors, for many years, but we are running out of space in the sun! So I would like to make use of our backyard, which is currently just grass.

So those are my tentative plans! I think I may have gone on too long, so I'll sign off now! ^_^

~*Jennifer*~

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
88.gif

Hello @Fritillary and welcome to the forum!

What do you dye with your plants?

Rabbits and squirrels can be a real pain. It's very hard to keep squirrels out, but you can keep the rabbits out with a short fence system. We completely surrounded our backyard with a 1 x 2 welded wire fence that is 4 feet high, and ran the same wire along the ground for 2 feet along the ground to keep out any digging varmints. A tulip tree would be lovely. We planted one about 6-8 years ago...still no "tulips" yet, but it takes a while before they appear.

Nice to have you with us! Ask questions, share experiences, and stick around. This is a great, friendly community.

Jim

Ask a Question